3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat and LightWave 9.6/10.1

vncnt

Hi, I´m new to 3D-Coat.

After watching the tutorials and doing experiments for two days I still can´t get a consistent result after exporting to LightWave 9.6 on XP/32bit. And LightWave 10.1 on Win7/64bit seems to have memory issues when dealing with a simple object exported from 3DC.

These results are so extreme that I must be doing something wrong.

So I wondered if there were special Import and Export guidelines for 3DC to LW that I should take care of.

In the attachment a screendump of LW10.1 with a message in red: "Image Cache (Failed to write File: ...)" and "Could not perform color space correction - Out of memory".

I´m not using any kind of image cache so I realy don´t know why it´s complaining.

It will render when I set the 1080p25 camera to 50% size and turn off the color space correction.

I´m using 8GB ram on a i7 880 @ 3.04GHz 64bit Win7 and I´m using 3D-COAT 3.5.19A(CUDA)(DX64).

I hope somebody can help me because I´m exited to start using 3D-Coat in real productions.

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

CC.zip

Hi Vincent,

Could you specify what are you doing exactly and where the problem starts:

1) Does it work fine inside 3DC?

2) What mode are you working in (per-pixel, microvertex)?

3) What export settings do you use?

4) What happens inside LW exactly?

And finally, try the latest build from here

Thanks, and welcome aboard :)

Hi Vincent,

Could you specify what are you doing exactly and where the problem starts:

1) Does it work fine inside 3DC?

2) What mode are you working in (per-pixel, microvertex)?

3) What export settings do you use?

4) What happens inside LW exactly?

And finally, try the latest build from here

Thanks, and welcome aboard :)

Thanks Daniel!

Glad to be here.

I was trying to create a simple subpatched box in Modeler and started Per pixel painting in 3DC. Used a brush to add random depth/color/spec and exported a LWO with files for color / specularity / tangent normal map / displacement map. After exporting I open the LWO in Layout and add a "Normal Displacement" plugin with a UV texture using the disp.tiff file created earlier.

Now at work, using 32bit LW9.6 / 32bit 3DC trial, this seems to work.

Don't know why it didn't yesterday - the only difference I can think of are the UV's.

Yesterday evening at home, using 64bit LW10.1 / CUDA 64bit 3DC (official license) with latest non-beta build, LW became unstable during F9 render (screendump in previous zip).

Now when I import the LW10.1 scene (from home) in LW9.6 at work the object seems to be fine in OpenGL but the F10 render looks flat (screendump in this post).

Open issues:

- Can LW10.1 handle overlapping UV's?

- The Color Space setting in LW10.1 seems to cause stability problems.

- The Normal Displacement plugin (or it's texture) in LW10.1 seems to cause stability problems.

- Should I use the Normal Displacement plugin at all?

- The Normal Displacement plugin seems to add a pattern to the surface of the object even when using 32bit tiff for displacement.

- Is LW9.6 and LW10.1 capable of using 8bit/16bit/32bit displacement files in a correct way? Any difference between these two versions?

- Why is Auto-mapping at import causing overlapping UV's and tearing seams?

Additional questions:

- Is there a tablet-pen equivalent for the middle mouse button (panning)?

- Are there navigation presets for LW users?

I know I look like a total newbee asking all these questions and I can't explain why things are not working the way they are supposed to, according to the manuals and training video's.

Thanks for spending time answering this post.

Vincent

post-7090-0-23870700-1315476905_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

Hu there'

Im a LW 9.6 user too, with 6 GB ram. I've experienced these issues too .

3DC is a very resource intensive program. It will chew up your 8 GB ram in no time, with many of its features.

There's a little info at the bottom showing you memory used as you work. However very little warning from your system of upcoming crash/ limits,

or export limits. Notice that even when you "undo" an operation, it stays eating up precious memory fast.

Get at least 24GB ram- as the error says- "Out of memory"

On a separate note, why do polys or UVs flip or become absent between the 2 programs?

Rida2