3DCoat Forums

3d-Coat 3.7 AppLink for OS X

j33p

Great application! I was just wondering about the newest version (3dc3.7), and if the AppLink features apply to us Mac users? I have found the instructions/download links for the Windows version. I cannot find information about how to go about the AppLink process for OS X and Lightwave 10.1? If somebody could please point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.

Hello j33p, and welcome to the community!

Keep your eye on this thread http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7308&st=60 - you may post your questions and requests here.

As for your question, try to do what the manual says:

Installation:

Unzip the archive.

Copy 3dc_applink_gui_GN.lcs, 3dc_applink_autoimport_GN.lcs and 3dc_applink_autocreate_GN.lsc files to some folder on your HDD, C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave10.0\support\plugins\scripts for example, or any other folder you're using for scripts. In LightWave (Layout), hit "Add Plugins" button, browse to the directory where you saved *.lcs files and add them one by one. To add UI buttons, select "Edit Menu Layout" from the "Edit" menu of Layout, find 3D-Coat AppLink, 3D-Coat (Auto-Import) and 3D-Coat (Setup Auto-Import) items on the left side and drag them to the prefered location on the right side. Now you can use this buttons to run AppLink scripts from LightWave Layout UI.

################################################################################

Usage:

In LightWave Layout choose mesh you want to edit in 3D-Coat, then run AppLink UI by hitting

3D-Coat AppLink button you've created, or by using LScript/RT and selecting 3dc_applink_GN.lcs file. In AppLink GUI, select "Import from 3D-Coat" or "Export to 3D-Coat" button, set needed options and hit OK. Check "Run 3D-Coat" if you want 3D-Coat application to autostart and import your mesh. If you're using other then default 3D-Coat installation, choose custom folder via "Program Folder" field and DX/DX64/GL/GL64 buttons in AppLink export dialog.

DX = 3D-CoatDX.exe, DX64 = 3D-CoatDX64.exe, GL = 3D-CoatGL.exe GL64 = 3D-CoatGL64.exe

Switch to 3D-Coat, "import object" will pop up, set your options, hit OK and edit imported mesh to your heart content. When done, hit File -> Open in original app in 3D-Coat main menu.

Now switch back to LightWave, run AppLink and select 'Import from 3D-Coat' button to

bring edited mesh with textures and maps created in 3D-Coat back to LightWave.

You can repeat the whole process as many times as needed.

################################################################################

Usage (Auto-Import):

Now you can send meshes to LightWave straight from 3D-Coat, by using File -> Export to -> LightWave menu in 3D-Coat.

LightWave will be started if needed, to get geometry and textures you've exported from 3D-Coat

via File -> Export to -> LightWave menu hit 3D-Coat (Auto-Import) button or run 3dc_applink_autoimport_GN.lcs

script if you have not added 3D-Coat (Auto-Import) button to the UI for some reason.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

To use File -> Export to -> LightWave feature from 3D-Coat, you should create files needed for this feature to work,

you can do this by hitting 3D-Coat (Setup Auto-Import) button or run 3dc_applink_autocreate_GN.lsc

script if you have not added 3D-Coat (Setup Auto-Import) button to the UI for some reason.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Uncheck "Enable Disp" if you're replacing mesh with Bump Displacement on it enabled! If you're not replacing old mesh (Replace Mesh checkbox off) or replacing mesh without Bump Displacement on it, leave "Enable Disp" checkbox on...

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Do not uncheck "Get Maps Back" and "Get Mesh Back" checkboxes for now, they may behave in unexpected way. I will try to fix in to enable selective updates (only mesh, only textures or both) in the next few days, or i will remove this checkboxes from UI if it is imposible to get them to work correctly...

... just apply it to Mac. I'm not an Mac user, but someone got it installed!