3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Retopo symmetry only works with virtual mirror mode ?

Gary Dave

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

• Advanced Member

Hey,

v4.5.19

I'm having a real bad time trying to do some manual retopo. I've always disabled virtual mirror mode as I like to work on whatever side of the mesh I'm looking at, but I can't go 2 clicks without it telling me that the symmetry is broken. If using the points/faces tool I can't even click once without it telling me I don't have perfect symmetry. (though this could be normal, as it resets to perfect symmetry after first poly creation)

I used to be able to move verts close to the symmetry line together and they would just snap, symmetry would remain. But now, without virtual mirror mode it breaks the symmetry 100% of the time for me.

Also, as soon as I get that red bit of text at the bottom saying "Partial_symmetry x.x%", it's basically game over, everything goes screwy.

Image to prove I'm not crazy:

wu0k7by.jpg

I'd also like to provide a massively trimmed down version of the file if someone wants to take a look at it? Although this is definitely not file specific, I can re-create it 100% in a new file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uuF_LuV3aldWwtMlRRSEpQa3M/view?usp=sharing

• Advanced Member

Hey Carlosan, thanks for checking it out.

Is 4.5.31 a stable build or a beta? I run it via steam so I'm on whatever version is published there.

Did you try to move the verts toward the symmetry line? I have no problems getting what you have in your image, but the moment I try to join a mesh on one side to the other by snapping the verts together on the X, that's when it tells me symmetry is broken.

Edited by Gary Dave

• Advanced Member

So, I enabled the beta version on steam, it immediately downloaded a new 3dc, but now when I launch, it says I'm running v4.0.03

Not only that, but all of my preferences/customisations have disappeared.

Edit

Hilariously, the retopo symmetry isn't broken in this earlier version. But I can't work like this.

Edited by Gary Dave

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Retopo symmetry only works with virtual mirror mode ?