User Interface Suggestions
1. One-Sided Scaling: The transform gizmos would be even more useful with One-Sided Scaling. For example, to lower the height of a cube sitting on the grid, one could press SHIFT while dragging the scaling box on the gizmo. This would move the top of the box without raising the box off the grid. This should work no matter where the volume origin is located. Nice way to speed up work.
2. Floating Gizmo: It would be nice to hold a key and have gizmos pop to the center of the view. This way all the gizmo handles would be available for use on the current volume.
3.Use Only Gizmo: Holding a key down while using a gizmo would let users select and highlight only the gizmo features without accidentally clicking outside the gizmo.
4. Return to Last View Position: I have been working in Ortho mode with background patterns. This requires quick changing between Top, Front and Right views. Switching views usually did not return to the last position and size of my last work in a particular view.
5. Lock View in Ortho: There should be some way to guarantee that the user does not accidentally drift out of true Ortho projection especially when using backgrounds. For example Front shows at the top right of the viewport even when the front view is rotated slightly. This can lead to tracing errors.
5. Tool Option Titles: Tool option titles should contain the name of the tool as well as "Tool Options". This may be troublesome to program but is basic user feedback.
6. Scale View from Cursor: It would be oh-so-nice if we could position the cursor arrow over the center where we want to scale and hold a key while scrolling the mouse wheel. This would eliminate the scale, move, scale, move cycle currently necessary. I have been an advocate of this feature since using Sketch Up.
7. Disappearing Work: As a new user I was shocked to see everything I worked on disappear. I know what is going on now but I spent a lot of time screaming at the screen and exiting 3D-Coat to start over again. There should be some kind of automated message to assure the user. An automated reminder to use the Apply button would be useful to newbies.
8. Quit Message: Most software asks before letting the user quit without saving. This message is important.
Please understand I am not complaining about 3D-Coat. I am so impressed with what it DOES do. I just wanted to give feedback from a newbie. If any of my suggestions are already implemented in some way, I would appreciate hearing about them.