3DCoat Forums

Almost too many options for brush creation

rsquires

Is it just me or are there just too many different panels that you have to go through to customise your brushes. I am not one to limit the abilities of a program and it is truly astounding what you can probably create with the options available in 3d coat. But it does seem that you need to have a very deep understanding of the brush parameters to customise. At present I see 5 separate areas that you need to visit to truly adapt all the parameters of a brush. There is the tool itself, the alpha of that tool, the tool options like jitter and spacing, in cases of Live clay we have another level of tool options, over the standard ones and then also the general brush options like radius fall off etc at the top of the viewport. Doesn't anyone think this is counterintuitive. In Photoshop for instance all parameters are in one palette, and in that palette I can save a copy of my custom brush. For some reason I have to open a presets window to save brushes and sometimes when I am in the paint room I can't see some of the alpha brushes. To me this is just plain confusing, where did my brush go!

I am sure some of you will chip in that Zbrush is way more complicated, but I think there should be some sort of level system that allows for newbies to experience 3d coat without having to see the infinite possibilites of the brush system. So Basic, Intermediate and Expert system wide settings. It is really overwhelming and I have to say put me off using it at the start. I really had to work very hard to like the system and I am still not %100 with it. So this is the first impression and as we all know first impressions are very important. A system that starts out easy to use then reveals itself, is sometimes better than one that throws everything at you. Infinite possibility/customisation which is the very worthy goal of the program at the moment is all well and good but if people are put off by the complexity then you lose interest.

I downloaded the excellent penpacks that re invent the custom surface tools into a really strong list of tools, and it has been said these should be the default tool pack. This seems like an excellent idea and is a good example of what I am trying to say here. For instance the carve tool in the Voxel room is really harsh at it's default setting. Why is that? Am I doing something wrong? It should work really well out of the box rather than have to be adjusted to work half way decently.

Anyway I do really like 3D Coat and the powerful tools it allows at a fraction of the price of the Mudbox and Zbrush, I just think some fundamentl usability issues are being overlooked in the pursuit of adding more and more to the program.

all the best

Richard

The interface is very easy going. Try focusing on getting what you want done, and stop being distracted with how many ways it can be done, or how many steps it takes. Just work. 3D Coat has a fast workflow...I mean fast. Setup your tools and get going.

The interface is very easy going. Try focusing on getting what you want done, and stop being distracted with how many ways it can be done, or how many steps it takes. Just work. 3D Coat has a fast workflow...I mean fast. Setup your tools and get going.

It's partly setting up tools that I am finding tricky. I guess I should just find a brush I like and stick with it. Just seems overwhelming at first