3DCoat Forums

normal map from mesh too big to load into RAM

SMcQ

Maybe this can be done in 3DCoat but I don't see how. If it can't, then consider this post a feature request.

I want to create a normal map from a landscape digital elevation model (DEM) of very high resolution and immense file size, especially as an obj conversion (>20 GB). This normal map would be applied to a mesh of much lower resolution.

I have approximated this approach using hi-res baked shadows as a texture on a low res triangular conversion of a DEM. Works pretty good and a normal map would look even better. The data set is of Lake Tahoe, CA/NV.

Seems to me this would have to be a command line operation that performed on the hard drive stored file, chunk-wise.

DEMs come in various formats at 32 bit precision, and there is a seldom used portable grayscale map alternative at 16 bits precision. I have software to convert between several formats, but the obj and xyz outputs are prohibitively large.

Direct DEM to normal map would be too much to ask for. There are several DEM formats.

By the way, it would be interesting to re-topologize a height field quad, which is just stretched vertically, to a quad that followed the features better. My maxed out, five year old system is underpowered for the full capabilities of 3DCoat as it evolves. Thus, evolving software drives hardware purchases!

SMcQ