3DCoat Forums

Swapping Y and Z axis

renderdemon

• Advanced Member

Hi,first of all,sorry if I post here,I don't know if it's the right forum section.

I would like to know if there is a way to swap Y and Z axis that 3d coat uses for the camera.

I mean,as you may know some program uses Z as high,other Y.

When I import Zbrush obj,my objects are wrong oriented(they need 90 degree rotation)

I had simply to rotate the mesh after having imported(with sculpting mode I think)or there is some global option to swap the axis ?.

Sorry for this noob question.

Bye

• Advanced Member
Hi,first of all,sorry if I post here,I don't know if it's the right forum section.

I would like to know if there is a way to swap Y and Z axis that 3d coat uses for the camera.

I mean,as you may know some program uses Z as high,other Y.

When I import Zbrush obj,my objects are wrong oriented(they need 90 degree rotation)

I had simply to rotate the mesh after having imported(with sculpting mode I think)or there is some global option to swap the axis ?.

Sorry for this noob question.

Bye

which application do you use?

if it is 3ds max, there is a checkbox to turn on when exporting:

obj_rotate841.jpg

if it's not max, i don't know. :)

• Advanced Member

Thanks Akira,I use Blender,Zbrush and 3dsMax(at work),I know you can rotate the model before exporting,all these programs share the same orientation.

Sometimes 3d applications have also the possiblity to swap the up axis to avoid rotating the object on importing(like maya,which also I have used for work ),I'm new to 3d coat and maybe I was missing some option.

Btw,thanks!

Bye

• Advanced Member

Sorry, I misunderstood what you mean.

No you didn't miss any options about this, 3DC had that option about swapping before.

But it was removed because it's wrong to just swap y and z axises, actually it's a rotation.

this is a simple example in max

axis_max729.jpg

this is the same model imported into xsi without pre-rotating

axis_xsi530.jpg

to correct this orientation problem, just rotate x-axis to -90degree

axis_xsi_rotated182.jpg

maybe 3DC should add an option to rotate axis during importing.

• 5 years later...

I'm having a similar issue yet very different. Sometimes I accidentaly hit a button combo/key combo on my cintiq 21UX tablet and/or my keyboard and the pen axis seems to invert, similar to inversion in a flight sim game. Up is down/down is up, even the pressure arc for the pen tool, the arc drops below the horizontal line instead of staying above it. It's not fatal as I can obviously tell the diff and compensate, but the most annoying thing is when I'm using the pen tool or mouse to move around my model. Can someone tell me what I pressed/how to reset the viewport /orbit axis in my viewport?