3DCoat Forums

Reordering Vertices on Retopology

pem

I have been using 3D-Coat to make some skull caps for a variety of figures. The figures and skull caps are .obj files. I was hoping that I could make one skull cap with a variety of morphs for other figures but I have found out that when I load my first skull cap to conform it to a new head, 3D-Coat re-orders the vertices when I export the raw object.

My process:

made a skull cap from one figure using the retopology tool, saved as an .obj file with a uv map

create a new file in 3D Coat

import the head of another figure as a reference object

from the Retopogisation commands menu, load the original skull cap .obj file using Import External Mesh command

this will make the skull cap shrinkwrap/conform itself to the new head shape

do not delete or add any polygons or vertices and

save this changed skull cap as a new .obj file using Export Raw Object from the retopogisation command menu.

The original skull cap and the second skull cap both have the same UVs but 3D-Coat has changed the vertex order in the process so that if I load the second skull cap as a morph target for the first skull cap (so I can have one skull cap that fits everyone), the mesh explodes when I dial up the morph since the vertices were re-ordered.

So my humble request is for 3D-Coat to NOT change the vertex order when going from Import External Mesh to Export Raw Object if I only move vertices and do not add or delete any using the retopogisation tool.