3DCoat Forums

Export depth along Y function

DrKrieg

Hey, a couple months into using this wonderful program now and first post on here.

I'm having trouble finding an answer on old posts so thought I'd ask you friendly folk.

I'm busy making some tilable textures for some objects using the "Export Depth Along Y Function".

The feature is amazing but I'm having trouble scaling the sculpted object to fit the texture without trial and error exports.

Could anyone enlighten me as to whether there is a feature to a frame or preview in the viewport, the area I need to occupy with the object, so I can get it right first time?

• 2 weeks later...

My explanation may be confusing so I've created an example to show what I mean.

This is how my first attempt tends to look. I create a cube and carve some detail on for the normal map.

As can be seen much of the area of the texture has not been used, I could crop this down but then I'd lose some of the resolution.

post-38164-0-11453600-1390822427_thumb.p

I then start to scale the voxel object up to fit the full size of the texture. This one is way too big.

post-38164-0-15534000-1390822434_thumb.p

I take it down a bit but you can see the outline of the cube's edge.

post-38164-0-10426000-1390822444_thumb.p

Finally I can get it close to fitting.

post-38164-0-18261600-1390822451_thumb.p

I'm hoping someone can let me know if there is a way to make sure the voxel object measures up to the texture size without the trial and error above.