3DCoat Forums

Any tips for sculpting fine structures like this?

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Anyone have nay tips for sculpting fine structures like this? I've only ever really worked with heavy form in 3DC so far. I'm going to try the Move tool with a custom alpha to see if I can drag out the structures, but just curious if anyone has a go-to for such a thing..

post-38412-0-60989800-1452607338_thumb.p

Thanks!

T

• Advanced Member

Hey T, image looks a bit like chordae tendineae, in which case I might be inclined to sculpt a primitive and use axial instancing +/- use an array modifier in another app. I have had some luck pulling on mesh with move tool with linear alphas, but it is kind of hit or miss.

bk

• Advanced Member

Hi Ben, close, - they're ciliary processes reaching towards the lens :) .  I ended up using the array modifier in Blender, but I just find Blender so clumsy and un-aesthetic to use compared with 3DC. Last few days have reminded me of the value of polygonal modelling though for some purposes..

Thanks!

T

• Advanced Member

Awwww that makes more sense. Have you tried Blender particle system using sculpted object(s)? That way you can get more variability and may provide a more pleasing result????

bk

• Advanced Member

I haven't, - I was thinking this would be great for the zonular fibres but my main interest is realtime rendering so I'm stuck with what I can create using meshes & normals maps unfortunately. I was thinking of having a play with it though, just for my own interest. Thanks, T