3DCoat Forums

Selecting UV Faces with Multiple Materials

Teriander

I have an object that uses multiple materials and it loads into 3D Coat fine.  How do I select the faces that are using a certain material, so I can use the "Move Selected" option to transfer selected UVs to a different material?  Right now it appears I can only select one island at a time and can not select by Material ID.  Is that accurate?  

• Advanced Member

I've just tested this, and my object with different material ID's (from 3ds max) imports into 3dc with those mat ID's as separate UV sets, meaning I can select entire Mat ID's and move them to an existing UV set, or create different UV sets and move them.

If your object has imported with just a single UV set, then something has gone wrong elsewhere.

• Advanced Member

Yeah okay, so when you're selecting all the faces, you're actually selecting all the faces of that ID/UV set. If you see in the top left area of the UI it should say something like "default" or "01___Default", this is a drop-down list for your UV sets.

If you import for per-pixel patining, then you'll only have access to the UV room to do UV tweaks, admittedly this room is pretty redundant, I don't use it, and you're right in that there doesn't appear to be a way to select multiple faces, I can only select 1 face, or all faces. Not sure what's up with that. BUT, you can still do what you want, since selecting all faces = selecting that UV set. And up there in the top left of the UI, you should see a "[Move Selected]" drop down list, which is where you would choose to move one UV set into another.

Or, you can import the mesh to the retopo room, where you have access to UV tools too, you also have access to proper selection tools here.

Some things to note, is in the UV room I think you'll need to do a "Apply UV Set" when you make changes, I'm not 100% familiar with the workflow in this room, I don't think many users on the forum use the UV room to be honest.

In the retopo room, it's a little weird as well but you first need to select a UV tool (ie, "Mark Seams") and then you'll notice a bunch of new UV tools appear, these are the same as in the UV room, and from these you can perform a re-unwrap/package if necessary, or just alter the layout of your islands manually, there's no sort of "commit/apply UV's" here, if the UV preview looks good, then you're good to go.

I would recommend going with the retopo room option, if you need to paint on this mesh as well you can just send it to the paint room when you're done with the UV's, by going to "Bake > Retopo > Per Pixel (no baking)"

Laaastly, remember to delete any unused UV sets (accessible from the same drop-down as the UV sets list) to avoid any later complications.

Edited by Gary Dave