3DCoat Forums

very first try to sculpt something

dennis

Hello folks,

I´m new to this forum hence a short introduction of me first. I live in Berlin and usely I earn my money with architecture visualitions created with Cinema4d. I was blown away when I saw the first Zbrush models. I decided to learn it one day. This summer I have downloaded the Zbrush demo. I struggled with the inteface and wasn´t able to create anything with sense. I realized it takes years to learn. After 2 weeks testing I had to go back to my normal projects. 2 weeks ago I read a thread in a german C4D forum covering 3dCoat. After 1 hour playing around with this great tool I decided to buy 3dCoat. It is so logical to use, just great. Actually I have to learn a lot of basic stuff about sculpting. So here are the pictures of my first model I´ve created with 3dC and a couple of questions.

The first image shows my basicmesh I have subdivided 3 times with a hypernurbs and exported as OBJ. Is this the right way or should I export the low poly mesh. I couldn´t find any explanation how to work with two spheres as eyes. My first problem is I do not know exact position of the eyes befor I start sculpting. When I export two spheres for the eyes i cant avoid deforming them.

post-1239-1229703124_thumb.jpg

This images shows my first layer I have created in the sculpting mode. I had big trouble to sculpt the teeth and other big deformations. I guess I have to wait till volumetric sculpting is available. Or is there a special trick I do not know ?

post-1239-1229703862_thumb.jpg

Here my second layer where I have used the normal brushes

post-1239-1229703876_thumb.jpg

I created a third layer for painting, exported the the mid poly mesh and added 3 lights in Cinema and some theeth. I did this in a pretty fast manner just to see result.

post-1239-1229703887_thumb.jpg

Please tell me wether it is the right workflow or not. How can I improve my model. I really appreciate any critics.

I hope my english is understandable. Thanks for help

Dennis

• Contributor

Hello folks,

The first image shows my basicmesh I have subdivided 3 times with a hypernurbs and exported as OBJ. Is this the right way or should I export the low poly mesh. I couldn´t find any explanation how to work with two spheres as eyes. My first problem is I do not know exact position of the eyes befor I start sculpting. When I export two spheres for the eyes i cant avoid deforming them.(End quote)

Welcome to the forum Dennis.I think your off to a good start in the sculpting process, the dragon is good.I really like the textures.

You should experiment with exporting different mesh resolutions and see what works best for your needs.You may be able to get by exporting a lower poly mesh, but when doing displacement painting make sure you import at optimum settings.(see image)I like to use 4 mil. with a map size 2048x2048.Again experiment.

You can merge object into scene via the file options.Import your eyes in a new layer go to sculpt mode select and position objects.Then use freeze to prevent alterations where needed.Use this option for the teeth as well if you like.

In Cinema 4d you may play around with the micro poly settings in the render options for finer detail on lower poly meshes.

Others may have better suggestions,but I think the more you play the more you learn.So keep on playing.

post-913-1229734282.jpg

post-913-1229734443_thumb.jpg

post-913-1229734454_thumb.jpg

post-913-1229734460_thumb.jpg