3DCoat Forums

Help with retopo (Beginner)

Antsal

Hey,

I'm working on a model that I imported from blender and started adding detail with sculpting in 3D-Coat. So, now that I have done all the details,  I'm having some trouble with retopology. I've never really done it before and tried to go with the autopo route but it isn't really working for me with the default settings. I resorted to doing the retopology manually but I don't have any idea what I am doing. Should I just retopologize different parts as separate meshes or just mash them all together? Also, there are some parts on the mesh which are hidden behind protrusions like the tube on the side, which makes it hard to retopologize. Is there any convenient way to hide a part of the model to ease the retopo step? Ultimately, I would like to have a retopologized mesh that I could unwrap and texture. I've heard that painting on voxel surface is a bad idea in general. I'm starting to feel like this model is too complex for my current skill level.

I attached some pictures of the model. I got the middle one from the fastest autopo method, and in the bottom I tried to retopologize manually.

Untitled-1.thumb.png.26a6339cf1e9211e58e7cca847702d1e.png