3DCoat Forums

Projection Sculpting?

bobzilla

• Advanced Member

BodyPaint has a Projection Painting feature which helps you paint over seems or unequal UV areas. Does 3D Coat have anything like that?

I haven't been in 3D Coat for a while, so I may have overlooked it. I'd like to be able to sculpt (just displacement, not into volumetric sculpting yet) over seems and uneven UV areas on my model.

Thanks...

• Advanced Member

Projection Painting:

Yes, just select a material/image to paint with and paint away. If you want to see the actual image above your model then click the 'Show' button in the 'Preview Options' panel. It's that simple!

I've not had time to use the feature fully, but from what I've seen so far the projection feature is probably one of the best there is. It can deal with very large images without any problems at all.

Sculpting:

You paint/sculpt your fine bumpy details with the depth channel (right side panel - 'Depth'). But there's also the sculpt mode for making bigger changes (head icon, left panel - 'Sculpt Mode')

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the info.

I usually just use the Depth channel so far. That seems to give me the results I want. Sometimes there is a jump in my strokes (I imagine it would happen when I just paint, too) and it might be where a seam is or some other UV anomaly.

Will the Projection Painting work when using the Depth channel or just painting without using a material or image?

Thanks...

Bob

• Advanced Member
Thanks for the info.

I usually just use the Depth channel so far. That seems to give me the results I want. Sometimes there is a jump in my strokes (I imagine it would happen when I just paint, too) and it might be where a seam is or some other UV anomaly.

Will the Projection Painting work when using the Depth channel or just painting without using a material or image?

Thanks...

Bob

Aye, it'll work without the depth channel, but you'll always need a material as the projection feature is enabled through material. Although you can disable the actual color image and just paint with the depth info taken from the image.

Have you actually played with 3D Coat?. It's best to learn stuff just by playing around with the options and seeing what happens. Have a play! It wont explode! :)