3DCoat Forums

Bug report - drawing with vertex lines stroke

Hello,

It's my first post here, and I don't even remember the last time when I was using forums, so I hope that I didn't mess anything up.

But let's get straight to the point. I'm already using 3DCoat for quite some time, as I work as a 3D artist, and there is an issue that I'm dealing with since the very beginning of my adventure with this software.

It's related to vertex lines stroke mode in the paint room. A brief description would be that there is some kind of 'ghost data' being stored (or not) on the texture that does not work well when you change brush stroke or tool (e.g. for an eraser).

This bug is quite easy to reproduce. Here are the steps:

1. Drop paint mesh into your paint room or add primitive mesh in retopo room (e.g. 2D plane) and then bake it for per-pixel painting.
  2. Create a new layer or use the existing one - it does not matter.
  3. Select the brush tool.
  4. Press E and select vertex lines stroke.
  5. Select brush alpha falloff e.g. radial or conical, just something different from a constant falloff.
  6. Draw a line - it does not matter if you use depth, glossiness, and color or just one of the channels.
  7. Now switch to the eraser tool or disable the depth channel and erase part of the drawn line with CTRL. 
  8. You should notice that an eraser seems to 'not care' about the falloff of your brush alpha. Ouch!

To be honest, I've tried multiple workarounds like changing brush options, global software preferences, 3DCoat versions, or even OS and hardware configuration and drivers. This glitch is still there and it's not related to any eraser settings, falloffs, etc.

The description above might be a bit misleading, but this issue hurts my workflow. Imagine a situation, where you are creating a hard surface asset and you notice that a few additional details could be added e.g. big armor plates could be divided into smaller ones. You start to add one line of depth, another one, and another one, bolt here and there, and then you change your mind and want to erase part of the line and you see a sharp glitchy edge - terrible. You try to fix it but the result is even worst, so you undo and then everything is messing up even more because this 'ghost data' pops up on random chunks of the texture. Well - the only solution is to reload the file, and then you notice that half of your work is gone. I might be getting a bit emotional here, but I hope that you get the idea of how critical this issue is. Finally, please don't get me wrong, but this is a basic feature, I mean, there might be glitchy experimental stuff that is unstable I'm fine with that, but this issue should be fixed ASAP, as I enjoy using 3DCoat and would not like to throw it away only because I am unable to draw simple lines. :(

... or maybe I'm just going crazy and missing something, and it works as intended. Anyway, I've added a few pictures to make things more clear. One is from Blender where line stroke seems to work properly.

Currently, I'm using 3DCoat 2022.05 but this bug was also in previous versions, also in one tested on PopOS (2021.70).

My setup: Windows 10 Home, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, Nvidia RTX 3060, 16GB of memory... although this information is unlikely to be of use.

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

07.png

Edited by Crimsoncast
Fixed images order
  • Thanks 1