3DCoat Forums

Retopology Workflow

Hastouki

Question

Hi, I have a 3D character I'm attempting to retopo which is about 25 million polys. When I go into the retopo room and start using tools like stroke, I think the high poly count is confusing the strokes tool and I'm getting a ton of points and strange strokes. What is the proposed workflow in this situation? In Blender what I might do is duplicate the sculpt mesh, decimate it quite a bit and then use the decimated version for a retopo reference. In 3DC, should I duplicate the sculpt object, resample it down and then go to retopo room, hide the original 25mil object and retopo on top of the decimated version? Or is there a more clever way to do things? When I was playing around with the retopo tools with a lower poly mesh, things seemed to be more predictable and worked quite nicely, but at the moment every stroke I make and poly strip I create ends up looking messed up. 

image.thumb.png.b566cf6777daa9d07c5bfe653eab5434.png

image.png.d645292732f7fe134ec7570524900326.png

image.png.705408e84c177f111c3233689c5d651d.png

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

So nevermind, I think the moral of the story is, don't use Steady Stroke with the retopo room's Stroke tool, things get weird... I can live with that. Would still be interested to know about the decimate/retopo workflow.

Edited by Hastouki