3DCoat Forums

Sculpt Mode -> Add New Primitive -> Automatically Create New Layer

cookepuss

REQUEST:

Sculpt Mode -> Add New Primitive -> Automatically Create New Layer

DESCRIPTION:

In sculpt mode, for example, you can add primitives. However, they're automatically added to the current layer in the sculpt tree. My question is very simple. Is there a checkbox/option to automatically add each new primitive into its own layer?

Currently, I'm manually creating a new layer in the sculpt tree for each new primitive I create. To what end?

This way, I can tweak each new primitive in the blocking out stage in isolation of all other objects. Then, when I'm ready to work from the blockout, I'll just create a new layer and then merge the visible ones into it. I'd say that it feels more natural and ZBrush-like, but nothing about ZB feels natural and I've been using that for 21 years. :)

Does this feature exist? Have I just been doing it the hard way this whole time? Am I'm missing something and have been using 3DCoat all wrong for the past 14 years. Any clues?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

In the Primitives tool, you can only assign a hotkey to Create New Layer to make things a little easier.

Yeah. Like I said, I've been using 3DC for 14 years. I already knew about hotkeys. This doesn't really make things easier though. It just moves  the burden of layer creation from screen click to keyboard click. Hardly automatic, right? Thanks anyway.

The intent here is to make the blocking stage faster and more fluid. Especially for complex characters with lots of muscle groups.

FWIW, I'm hardly the first person to make this or a similar request. Elemeno suggesting something similar, but for the modeling room, 6 months ago.

I'm guessing that others likely have a desire for an automatic layer creation tick on the new primitive rollout too.

Of all the feature requests made here, this is probably one of the more reasonable (and maybe easy) to implement. Super small feature that amounts to a substantial quality of life improvement.

EDIT>> For example, suppose that you have to block out a character using 600 primitives to represent every muscle in the human body. With an option for automatically creating a new layer with each new primitive, you only have to tick off that checkbox once. That single one second click saves you 599 - a long term savings of 10 minutes. Every bit counts.

Edited by cookepuss
  • Like 1