3DCoat Forums

modeling mode fixes

• Advanced Member

Non destructive Subdivision surfaces. 
Does the modeling shader have to be stuck in X-ray? 
With multiple polygons selected with the select/transform I should be able to use a hotkey toggle to get the gizmo to align to a particular normal on the model. It would also be nice if would snap to the surface. Should be able to set it to world axis, object axis, component axis.

• Advanced Member

Wrong.
I do not want the gizmo to be oriented along the average of the normals that are selected.

I have a selection of polygons. I want to pick a single polygon face and (or edge) have the gizmo align to the direction of that normal while maintaining the selection group.

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Smart Extrude needs to be smarter. As it is right now. It is pretty bare bones. Max, Maya, Modo all have this type of smart extrusion. (note the subdivision surfaces are non destructive. The user can switch back and forth using the low poly cage to manipulate the subdivided mesh.)

Edited by NinjaTaco

• Advanced Member

The importance of updating the modeling tools.

Basically, it would be nice to be able to do some polygonal changes to a painted model, maintain the painted mesh and rebuild the UV to accommodate the new geometry that was added. And paint the new geometry that was added to the mesh without losing the texture work that was already established At the moment, there aren't any tools that allow this. (3dcoat sort of does this but not really)

This would helpful in creating derivatives of models.
Characters, Vehicles, Weapons. 

It would be a nice thing to help development along. Granted there are tools like houdini that focus on this but sometimes I do not want to invest my time and energy into building  a complicated modeling node network just to make one or two variants of character. That is not a good use of time.

• Advanced Member
On 4/29/2024 at 6:17 AM, Oleg Shapov said:

Press Shift+RMB in the desired location. This will attach the gizmo to the center of mass of the face or edge.

image.png

This works but edge selection appears to be limited to referencing edges. Points selected are limited to referencing points. However, face selections can reference edges or points.

There needs to be a little more of a hybrid experience with selection transform and extrusion.
In Maya and zbrush. You make a selection(or mask) and then while holding shift and clicking and dragging it extrudes.