3DCoat Forums

Splitting voxel objects onto separate layers

mackshiva

Hi,

Is there a way to cut a voxel object into pieces on separate layers without having any border seams? I've tried using split and this works but it creates a small border which I don't want. The manual says split has a border setting but I cannot find it. I tried using cut and clone which has the border settings and it seems to cut cleanly, but when I select the area to cut and clone, it cuts it then bounces me into the merge tool. It does not create a new layer and when I leave the merge tool the cut piece disappears. I can't figure out how to deposit the cut piece into a layer. I've tried hitting enter like with the primitive tool. I've tried clicking on apply in the merge tool parameter box, which creates a new layer, but it remains empty.

I've also tried using the hide tool. I hide part of the object then choose "Separate hidden part" and it does exactly what I want except once again there is a big border seam regardless of how I set the border settings. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

in regard to your question about the additional border settings, look up at the top left of the window (near 'File' menu)

and you will see 'Split border width' percentage....hope it helps! :)

This does help. Thank you! I still get a small border but I think it's just the fact that the two pieces are now separate objects.

The hide tool with "separate hidden part" would enable much more complex cuts since it allows the use of the regular brushes, but it creates a fairly large border even with border set to plane and the tool border set to 0 width. Any advice on minimizing the border using "separate hidden part"?

Thanks again!