3DCoat Forums

merging paint layers

lowedennis

I have 8 layers with 'overlay' option on the opacity and need to blend them all into one (they are slowing my computer down) and when I merge the top layer to the next one down (they are all using overlay as well) they look completely diferent.

See before and after pics.

Another problem is that I cannot undo the action so I have to save before any of these actions.

post-2492-12677981281761_thumb.jpg

post-2492-12677981597872_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

you might want to switch each of the layers you are attempting to merge back to their original layer application setting of STANDARD BLEND and NOT OVERLAY, then after you merge them, switch that newly merged layer(that was the 2 separate overlay layers you switched to standard-blend), BACK to an overlay layer. Just like you would in photoshop. You would expect to have 2 overlay layers reflect the top layer applying as overlay to the layer under it when you merge them, UNLESS you switch them back to NORMAL/STANDARD-BLEND before you merge them, then switch back the newly merged layer to OVERLAY.

you might want to switch each of the layers you are attempting to merge back to their original layer application setting of STANDARD BLEND and NOT OVERLAY, then after you merge them, switch that newly merged layer(that was the 2 separate overlay layers you switched to standard-blend), BACK to an overlay layer. Just like you would in photoshop. You would expect to have 2 overlay layers reflect the top layer applying as overlay to the layer under it when you merge them, UNLESS you switch them back to NORMAL/STANDARD-BLEND before you merge them, then switch back the newly merged layer to OVERLAY.

Thank you ifxs, that's a really useful tip - it makes sense now.

:-) Glad I could help out. I've followed the development of your sculpt since you first posted images of your projections sculpting on it. Nice work so far!

Thanks, it's the 'Derelict' ship from Alien for a series of documentaries I'm making on the 'back room boys'- those that never get a chance to say anything about what it was really like.