3DCoat Forums

suggestions (more)

wailingmonkey

• Advanced Member

Howdy,

Here are some things that might be enhancements in no particular order of importance:

- ability to lock open edges of mesh (so no distortion occurs with smoothing, for instance)

- complete model smoothing (with control over percentage, and not affecting locked edges)

- rotate model locally (not camera) for texture projection painting -- ability to reset to default that was imported

(or ability to rotate image planes in 3d to better line up with model position...this might actually be more appropriate)

- Frame object hotkey (recenters camera to object and zooms to default location)

- ability to edit layer names

- layer intensity adjustable (initially for whole layer, but also for color, bump, spec)

- radial fade option for copy/paste (so edges can be sharp or soft depending on fade)

- falloff control for the smoothing curve

And here are some things I've found quirky:

- 'OK' buttons should function when hitting 'enter' key after changing numerical entries

- 'Set Plane' seems a little non-intuitive...perhaps 'Planar Flatten' would be a better term?

- Smoothing needs to be realtime (even with medium-sized brushes) -- I found that even

by importing at 2million (instead of default 4 million) polys, the Head model smoothed with

considerable lag with brush sizes about the same size as the tip of the nose. This is a large

time-waster if you've got to experiment with every 'shift+lmb' stroke to see how aggressively

it smoothed your geometry...and you can't see it until a half-second after you've laid down the

stroke. My machine isn't totally archaic (PIV 2.0 duo-core, 2g RAM, nVidia 7800GO with 256mb RAM)

but my performance with smoothing tool is painful.

That's about it for now...hope it's of some utility to you. :)

Oh yeah. You probably already know this, but you've done some fine work here! ;)

Kind regards,

wailingmonkey