3DCoat Forums

Custom VoxStamps in a production environment

martinni

I have been looking into the merge object tool in voxel where it is possible to load a custom obj or load an object from a predefined list and I find this tool very strong.

Those predefined objects are located in a path that looks something like this: "C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-V3\VoxStamps\Objects" and it is possible to add new objects into that folder to further populate the predefined objectlist.

So, my suggestion is to be able to add a path to an external directory with objects that could be added to the list as well. In this way it would be possible to have a shared directory for the entire team to use, this could in example be put on a perforce server or a network share.

• Advanced Member

I agree, one of 3DC's biggest problems for pro users is the lack of path searching and the fact that so much gets installed into the 3DC program directory, both of which prevent deployment in a production environment.

I know that more and more multi-user companies are looking at 3DC or already have it, but IMO this is an area that holds them back... I started another thread on how a multi-user pro environment works (path searching, primarily) for apps like Maya and Houdini.

BTW, I would like to distinguish between professional users and a multi-user professional environment. Obviously, there are lots of pro users but they're working alone, or as "islands" in the production where the current way 3DC's installation works is OK.

Cheers

Peter B

• Advanced Member

+1 Vote, i suggested something like this when i posted my bugs/suggestions topic today in the first part of it -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6259

What i am thinking would be best is to have a setup around the My Documents folder or other multiple paths where it reads what you put in the folder and automatically updates. It could still have the default stuff but this just makes it easier to always know whats default and what is custom content. Also things like this can always do with some organization features like sorting etc, sub folders would also be very useful and is something i use a lot with other apps.

The manual adding method for resources 3DC uses now though slows things down a bit i agree. For things like changing folders for pens if you could have the dropdown on the top level (not within the scrolling list) also or a folder view with a move up button if it allows sub folders and that always showing it would make things much faster to work with also in my opinion.