3DCoat Forums

3D Splines from two perspectives

GeeJay

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I often want to subtract or add a specific irregular shape from my voxel element. What I would like to do is draw a spline in the front view, then switch to a side view and draw another one and the intersection gets created/subtracted. I know that I can create a voxel object and then subtract it but that takes several more steps to do it this way. Is there any fast way to do this? If not, do you think my suggestion would be useful?

GeeJay:

Wouldn't it be easy enough to use one of the Curve splines, (E shortcut), and just rotate the view to get the right alignment?

Or, if what you are making is some kind of appendage with varying widths, just use the actual voxel Curve Tool and rotate the view to align.

Perhaps I need a visual to see exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply, I will try to illustrate the issue tomorrow. The problem with the splines as they are now is that they are projected from view and when I turn the view they get distorted. For example, when I want to cut out a wedge shape I would like to draw a rectangle in front view and a triangle in the side view. Right now I would have to model the wedge as a voxel object, then subtract it, which is easy enough with a wedge but gets time consuming with more complex shapes. As I said, I will try to clear this up in a next post.