3DCoat Forums

Axila editing like in Zbrush

vivi

• Advanced Member

I dont mean to wanna have a software like Zbrush, because if so, I would just use Zbrush..But I kinda like what I see in

3Dcoat.

But is there a way to not only create axial arrays, but also edit the voxels withe a radial symmetry?

It must be possible right?? it must be? I means it's kinda basic stuff for sculpting.

Also :

If I use the circle selection too or any other...is there a way to move it like in photoshop?

There u can pull up a circle selection ( keep aspect, how? ) and to fit the selection right where u want, u can hit space and then move the selection without having to release it. Is there a way to do those things?

Also:

If I have a cylinder, and from the sideview I use extrude using a rectangle selection tool, then usually I should get a nice even extrusion around the cylinder, no?

But when I do it, the extrusion seems to be offset to the direction I used the selection tool ( towards the camera ) .

Bsically I am looking for a way to model hardsurface things, using arrays, and symmetry ( especially radial symmetry )

vito

Vivi:

The circle and rectangular selection tools only work in the plane of the camera, for now. You cannot constrain them to draw equidistant from the center, either, at this point in time.

You might be able to accomplish what you want using the "Merge" tool with "On pen" selected in the "Tool Options" panel.

1) Select "Merge".

2) Check "On Pen"

3) Choose "Select Mesh"

4) Navigate to your 3D-Coat root folder and open "Samples"

5) Select the "Cube" or the "Sphere" or any .obj file you wish to add to the folder.

Holding down the right mouse button while dragging left or right scales the object, while holding down the right mouse button and dragging up or down elevates or indents the object into the surface.

Using "On pen" continually orients the object to the normals of the object already present in voxel space. Pressing "Enter" adds the object at that location, while "Ctrl-Enter" subtracts the object from the "parent" mesh.

Greg Smith

Also have a look at artman's posts here:

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2097&st=0&p=13535entry13535

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2104&st=0&p=13759entry13759

I don't think 3D Coat has arrays yet. It would be a nice feature to have.

If radial symmetry is where you select multiple points, edges, faces and scale, rotate, or translate them. What I do atm is place the objects to transform on a separate layer and work on the whole layer with the Transform tool.

• Advanced Member

Greg Smith,

I already tried out the OnPen thing. I gotta say it's pretty cool, BUT it lost the game since there is no possibilies to directly, manually orient the object.

It's only possible through the dialog which I don't really understand!? Why not having shortcuts for extending the Right mousebutton funcionality?

Just a rotation function would be kicking the balls!

Well about the selection tools...what can I say...it'S really basic stuff in my eyes.

I was gonna buy 3D coat to use for my short movie, because some features seem to be perfect, but if basic things don't work...

Are those features coming with the next release?

vivi

Vivi:

The circle and rectangular selection tools only work in the plane of the camera, for now. You cannot constrain them to draw equidistant from the center, either, at this point in time.

You might be able to accomplish what you want using the "Merge" tool with "On pen" selected in the "Tool Options" panel.

1) Select "Merge".

2) Check "On Pen"

3) Choose "Select Mesh"

4) Navigate to your 3D-Coat root folder and open "Samples"

5) Select the "Cube" or the "Sphere" or any .obj file you wish to add to the folder.

Holding down the right mouse button while dragging left or right scales the object, while holding down the right mouse button and dragging up or down elevates or indents the object into the surface.

Using "On pen" continually orients the object to the normals of the object already present in voxel space. Pressing "Enter" adds the object at that location, while "Ctrl-Enter" subtracts the object from the "parent" mesh.

Greg Smith