3DCoat Forums

import obj problem

zrethkar

When i import a .obj file for either kind of painting it starts out with a normal map, but its applied to a colour channel, making it look blue.

now it says a normal map can be imported for reference, but the model had no texture on it when exported as a .obj. I have tried adjusting the layer settings for the paint layer in 3dc, which starts out with 2 layers but cant seem to find any way to apply the texture to different channels or anything. SO basically i just need to import a .obj model and its normal texture so i can paint colour, spec and detail normal for it.

I cant see anything else in import settings either. :/

i must be missing something very simple i think as ive heard the blender > 3DC workflow is very nice.

if youve got any ideas thatd be great

Zrethkar:

An object (.obj, .lwo) can be imported directly from the start up "Wizard" - either for "per-pixel" painting or for "micro-vertex" painting.

The object need not have any texture information associated with it before import. When it is imported, you can allow 3D-Coat to automatically create its own UV map so that you can begin texturing immediately, ("automap").

The normal, (or displacement) map is created "on the fly" as you begin painting with the "depth" property enabled, (no "x" over depth icon). The map can be exported with the final, textured model, when you are finished.

This is, by far, the easiest way to begin. If, for any reason you don't like the automatic UV map created by 3D-Coat upon import - you can go to the Retopo Room and under the "Retopo" menu, select "Use current low-poly mesh", and begin to alter the seam areas, either by starting from scratch, ("clear"), or just by refining what is there. This new map can be made "live" by merging into the Paint Room - to begin texturing all over again.

Greg Smith