3DCoat Forums

More Organice Painting methods

Calabi

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure if this is a request or its already able to be done in certain ways. But one thing that annoys me with these digital painting packages (especially photoshop) is their precision or their logicalness(cant think of word right now).

Just look at this video.

I'd like to see some things we experience and take for granted in the real world to be transplanted into the digital. Like gravity, the paint moves down, electromagnetism as the paint is attracted to one another an into the crevices, it drys and causes effects. You have these all without even asking. Also better randomness, like spray paints with the little dots to be more random or the paint brushes and their applications to be more random, not exactly more random but less precise, better random(albeit that may be impossible in a computer). Just a more dirtier painting where the paints behave more unpredictably, perhaps you could see the paintbrush for a more general overall, more loose painting.

Its what separates the digital from the real, just my thoughts.

• Advanced Member

I'm not sure if this is a request or its already able to be done in certain ways. But one thing that annoys me with these digital painting packages (especially photoshop) is their precision or their logicalness(cant think of word right now).

Just look at this video.

I'd like to see some things we experience and take for granted in the real world to be transplanted into the digital. Like gravity, the paint moves down, electromagnetism as the paint is attracted to one another an into the crevices, it drys and causes effects. You have these all without even asking. Also better randomness, like spray paints with the little dots to be more random or the paint brushes and their applications to be more random, not exactly more random but less precise, better random(albeit that may be impossible in a computer). Just a more dirtier painting where the paints behave more unpredictably, perhaps you could see the paintbrush for a more general overall, more loose painting.

Its what separates the digital from the real, just my thoughts.

Randomness, painting into crevasses and spraying little dots are already features in 3dcoat. Gravity is not, but it's application is probably pretty limited. Gravity is available in Painter, but that software is a natural media simulator, not a 3d sculpting and texturing package.

• Advanced Member

They are but not in the way I'm suggesting. It would be nice to pick different random methods, which are weighted instead of the uniform standard computer randomness(which isnt really close to real randomness). You can paint in crevasses but it is too digital. Gravity or a directional bias could have all kinds uses, you could get get all kinds of interesting effects if you were able to throw your paints at the canvas.

It was only an idea, a thought for a possible thing in the future. I think the emulation of real medias would benefit everyone, its the way things will go eventually, surely.