3DCoat Forums

Adding Eyes to Scene

Paint Guy

• Advanced Member

I thought hey, why don't I see what my voxel sculpt will look like with eyes but I've had nothing but troubles.

Steps

I created an eye in another 3D app and then exported as an .obj.

I then modeled a simple head in Voxels.

I then selected (File > Merge Object) to "merge" the eye .obj into the voxel scene but 3DCoat just choked badly when doing this, so bad in fact that I had to force quit it.

1. Do you add eyes to the voxel room or is this not a good idea?

2. Can you import/merge an .obj eye into the voxel room and have it stay as an .obj or does it convert it to a voxel mesh?

If not how do you add an eye to the scene like I can do in ZBrush?

Please explain!

If you are trying to create a Voxel "eyeball", just use the "Sphere" tool in the Voxel Room on a separate Voxel Layer. (you can increase the resolution of you need a perfect sphere).

Right click to set the depth of the Sphere, (you can also set "Sphere extrusion" in the corresponding Tool Options Panel (to a negative or a positive value, for protrusion or intrusion).

Since everything in Voxel space needs to have topology added later, you might as well create as many of the parts of your model as possible in the Voxel Room. For a simple thing like an eyeball, there is no advantage of importing a sphere made elsewhere, out of polygons.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Thanks Greg. So I guess you can't use a nice eye made elsewhere. Too bad because I made an really nice eye with UV map in Blender and I wanted to see what it looked like on my character.

Ok, I understand, so you can only add realistic eyes in applications like Blender but can't render them in 3DCoat.

pg

You can add your Blender eyeball as a separate object in the Sculpt Room (after you've sculpted a head and added topology via the Retopo Room - then merging it into the Paint Room/Sculpt Room).

I didn't realize you had already textured your Blender eyeball.

The only difficulty is that "transforming" in the Sculpt Room is a little weak and sometimes buggy, which will make positioning and scaling your eyeball difficult.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

You cant do this Paint Guy.

As a lot of other things like to support correctly zbrush normal maps to blender. You can do this? Like me? No, its an illusion. We can't. As with 3dcoat normaps. Not really.

(sorry for this, I was working some days now to solve this mystery, not good news though)

What you can do so to have a nice preview eye in 3dcoat voxels and render room: Convert an already existing shader (like matcaps of zb). Project an eye as texture on it. As matcap.

What you ask is to be able to set up simple scenes in 3dcoat. A wishlist item.

At this moment, 3dcoat is a helper sculpting, retopo and painting app. Not bad at all. Lets be reasonable. :drinks: