3DCoat Forums

"points cloud" import not visible

SMcQ

I tried the import of a point cloud set into the voxel room, and while the task bar at the bottom reported success, there is no visible result. 332, 464 triangles are in memory but not on the screen.

It saved as a 3b file, about 2 MB. Saves to obj produce null files, as I expected, because it is a voxel file.

Documentation would help, as I just accepted the default input parameters. Maybe the spheres at the points are too small? It is a big scene, from a LiDAR dataset. About 13 MB as a csv file.

3D Coat did not complain or crash, it just didn't show anything on screen.

The file was a point-cloud-only obj created in MeshLab from LiDAR xyz data.

Supposing I eventually get this to work, what do I do with it? I mean, how do I get it back as a geometry file with many thousands of little spheres? I'm expecting the obj to be much larger than the data, because each point will be represented by the multiple vertexes of a sphere. Hope they are economical spheres!

The objective is to render the point cloud with the animation capability of my general purpose 3D program. I have point cloud viewers but I can't make stereo 3D movies with them.

Seriously, I need some orientation to this functionality because bumping around in the dark is just getting my shins bruised.

SMcQ