3DCoat Forums

Model coming in all white on ATI (v3.708 - v3.709)

I've been having this problem since v3.708 and it hasn't disappeared. I load in a model, usually for UV or retopo, and it loads in solid white. No matter how I adjust the lights or whatever else I try, I can't get it to be anything other than solid white. This is for the entire v3.708 - v3.709 series. v3.707a seems to work just fine and displays everything without a hitch.

My setup is:

• Windows 7 Pro x64
  • Intel Core i7 980x 6-core @ 3.33GHz w/24GB RAM
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770 w/1GB

At first, I thought it could be a driver issue. I had a problem displaying selections (in the GL version) a while back and it was a driver issue back at that time It's probably not a driver now issue since I tested the problem on every driver from v11.1 - v12.3 and it's still all sorts of messed up. To me, it's definitely 3D-Coat. Something changed and it's probably only affecting ATI users again.

Like I said, v3.707a works just fine, but every version from v3.708 and up is just unusable since I can't see anything I'm working on.

post-1309-0-08236200-1334756112_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

Looks like you're in flat shade mode.. not sure if you are.. but try pressing shortcut "5" and/or "1" (smooth shade/relief shade).

You can find these settings at: "view" in your menubar on top.

Im not sure if this is your problem.. just a leap of faith.. :)

I've been using 3DC for almost 3 years now and you'd think that I'd have tried that. Whatever. It worked. Thanks.

The real question now is WHY is it starting up in flat shading mode by default when it didn't before? v3.707a doesn't start up like that and neither did earlier versions. Something must've changed from 07a to 08. It's not life threatening and I can change it at will now, but 3DC shouldn't start in flat mode.

• Advanced Member

Over here its not a default setting.. I dont know why its the default setting on your computer maybe the newer versions (somehow) messed up your Export.xml file..

I installed v3.708 and v3.709 clean. It's definitely coming in as the default, both on the DX and GL versions. FTR, I'm using the SIMP64 version, as I'm on an ATI card.

Lots of XML files here, but search isn't turning up one called export.xml as far as I can see. I scanned through some of the other XMLs to see if the setting's buried in any of them, but what I'm finding doesn't seem to relate to this issue. Not finding the settings stored in the system registry either.

Again, it's not a big deal for me to manually change it, but it's annoying that flat seems to be my default these past few versions. I'm sure that Andrew will work it out. If not, I guess I'll live with the workaround. Better than having to shell out more cash TopoGun.