3DCoat Forums

PBR to Blender's Principled Issue

Haunted

I am trying to export a model and it's texture/material and import it to blender 2.79 and rebuild the material with Blender's new Principled BSDF shader.

I exported the Model and Texture with File => Export Objects & Textures and got these files:

• model.obj
  • model_diffuse.tga
  • model_emissive.tga
  • model_normal_map.tga
  • model_reflection.tga
  • model_roughness.tga

This is how it looks like:

Compare.thumb.jpg.eb9b1c1fb205b78f893c141384dcd082.jpg

And this is my Blender setup:

How.thumb.JPG.ba1dfa3ac908ac3194c40f237dfa1776.JPG

I really don't know if it's corret and what to do with the green ones.

This are my export settings:

settings.thumb.JPG.215710f754ea09e88bedf0ee55e70c96.JPG

• Reputable Contributor

You have a few things wrong in your setup. FYI. I use Metalness and Metallic in my post but they are the same. 3DC calls the Metallic map Metalness...

Look at my picture for proper setup.

Roughness, Metallic and Normal maps must be set to Non_Color Data, atm they are set to Color. These 3 maps are rendered linearly and not Srgb as the Albedo map is. They must be changed for correct rendering of your PBR material. Input the Metalness map into the correct Metallic slot on the Principled Shader.  Specluar is only used for artistic purposes, it is not a main input. 

You really only need 4 maps to create the material you see in 3DC which are Albedo, Metallic, Roughness and Normal maps. You can use others of course but these are the four you need.

Now that brings up the exporter panel in your picture. In this case you do not need the Export Constructor, deselect it and  the panel information will change. A more simple version. 

Look at my picture to see the four maps that are selected for export. Be sure to deselect store roughness in the alpha of metalness map if it is selected. This setting will mess up your metallic map in Blender. 

You do not 256 pixels of padding bleed. I used 8 pixel padding  bleed on a 2k map. 

Side Note. It appears that the Blender principled shader renders the metallic and roughness somewhat differently than 3DC. Tends to be more glossly. You might have to externally adjust those two maps for Blender's principled shader to get closer to the look in 3DC.

panel.PNG

Capture65.PNG

Edited by digman
Corrections
  • Like 3

Hi digman,

thanks for you answer :) 

It looks a little bit better now, but I think it's true, that tweaking is needed for Blender to look similar to 3D Coat, this is my result:

better_maybe.JPG.4b914f55bf64ad326acb382607c7af1b.JPG

still not as golden as the 3D Coat version :( I will try it with Blender 3.8 and Eevee ... maybe it looks better ...

I am developing a blender plugin to create the Principle BSDF shader with a simple import, I now can adjust it to your tips :) 

Do you have any other ideas to tweak the nodes to make the result more similar to 3D Coat? I could add this to my plugin (I will post it here as soon as it's finished).

Edit

Eevee result:

eevee.JPG.a5da3b6b6a1a6acaa427eaf277b6bd52.JPG

Edit 2: I made some mistakes, seems to be working now. I will open a new thread with my plugin asap.

Edited by Haunted

• Reputable Contributor

You must be using the same Hdri background to get the same lighting effects. Every program reads it seems things differently. You might have to adjust the brightness of the Hdri. 

If you want you can share your Blend file and I will look at it and the 3DC file if possible.

Also there is a way to adjust your roughness and metallic inside of Blender but I want to have all my facts straight first and it works as expected.

Edited by digman

24 minutes ago, digman said:

You must be using the same Hdri background to get the same lighting effects. Every program reads it seems things differently. You might have to adjust the brightness of the Hdri. 

If you want you can share your Blend file and I will look at it and the 3DC file if possible.

Also there is a way to adjust your roughness and metallic inside of Blender but I want to have all my facts straight first and it works as expected.

Just "released" it here: