3DCoat Forums

Getting a retopo mesh to snap back to the voxel mesh

johan21

Hi folks

As you can see below, I have created the characters left arm in the retopo room, with the right arm created using symmetry. I've then clicked 'apply symmetry', and am trying to now get the right arm vertices to sit 'on top' of the voxel model on right side (which is slightly higher due to the clothing).

I've tried selecting all vertices and then clicking the 'snap' tool in retopo, but this doesn't seem to be working. It looks like I will have to manually drag each vertex further away from the model and then allow it to snap back,but that will be painful. Any suggestions?

arm_zps7f5361bb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Your wording is a little unclear. Are you trying to snap the right arm shoulder area to the clothing and it appears that the clothes are on a separate layer but I could be wrong... Hide the clothing layer if you are not trying to snap to it.

I can give a general answer for now.

Select multiple vertices using a spline from the E-Panel. (Free hand or irregular) Rectangle for quick select of all the vertices...

Select the Commands / Transform tool. You can see the tool on the left side in your picture.

The middle small box in the transforms gizmo will transform all the vertices in an outward direction. Expand the retopo mesh beyond the borders of the voxel object around the arm and then use snap.

If you turn symmetry back on then you might lose what you just fixed. Do all your symmetry work and then make your adjustments...

Hope this helps some...

Thanks digman. Yes I was trying to snap to the clothing, which was indeed on a separate layer in the voxtree. I think this was the main problem, as i was snapping to the body layer under the clothing, but I wanted to snap to the top of the clothing. After I merged the voxtree layers and just had a single one visible the snap tool worked more as expected.