3DCoat Forums

Please add "quadrangulate face" and "reduce face" feature in retopo mode.

ldzywsj

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I know you are very busy on volumetric sculpting development.But you also have said that retopo tool will continue develop because it is very important for volumetric sculpting.so I suggest to add " quadrangulate face" and " reduce face" features in retopo mode,with this two function,3dc would have a new workflow of retopology.Maya has both features but works not good.Please have a look at the attached pic which can explain what is "quadrangulate face" and "reduce face".

I carefully and continuously tested the retopo features in 3dc, the functions of retopology in 3dc is already extremely outstanding and I think it would be the best . but I still hold that retopologizing is a time-consuming and hard task. Therefore, let's return to the origin of the problem, why do we need to retopo a model?

1. the mesh of a model is too high, we need low-poly model.

2. the topology of a model do not meet some special requirements,e.g. for character animation .

we can use " reduce face" to make hight-poly mesh to low-poly mesh.and " quadrangulate face" can used for volumetric sculpting model and other imported

triangulated mesh.

so we would have a new and high-efficiency retopo workflow.we import a model ,turn to retopo mode, run commands "use current low-poly mesh", reduce faces, and lastly use other retopo tool to make the topology meet special requirements.The new workflow would save much time.

But this two features must be a very complex algorithm.In maya they works not good.Keep a modle's shape and good topology but reduce its faces is really a challenge.

post-641-1220104177_thumb.jpg

post-641-1220104205_thumb.jpg

post-641-1220105282_thumb.jpg