3DCoat Forums

NEW USER NEED HELP why 4 exe. files win 7 pro 64bit vrsn

preecher

hi am new probably see a bit of me on here.  I downloaded the trial version and I see the nice deal going on for Christmas that is super.  i thought i would give this a whirl.  i have a couple of questions for any seasoned users that might like to assist.  first off i noticed after i downloaded no desktop icon just on start menu...windows 7 pro 64 bit....there where i believe 4 exe files.  i don't userstand why.  I've skimmed the doc and started these getting started vids and they just talk about once you've launched 3dc.  i don't see any good install instructions anywhere or an explaination of the 4 exe files in windows version.  could someone please explain this to me. 

also if i buy this software I'm looking for a new laptop to run it on.  any suggestions with the 4th gen intel.  i would require an additional video card if i understand correctly to take advantage of certain things.  anyone using this on windows 8.1 64 bit?  do i need a NVidia card or the intel 4600 gpu...what are the differences.  I'm sorry if this has been explained becore i am new i don't see a search option in the forum???

thanks for any help

kind regards

preecher

• Reputable Contributor

hi am new probably see a bit of me on here.  I downloaded the trial version and I see the nice deal going on for Christmas that is super.  i thought i would give this a whirl.  i have a couple of questions for any seasoned users that might like to assist.  first off i noticed after i downloaded no desktop icon just on start menu...windows 7 pro 64 bit....there where i believe 4 exe files.  i don't userstand why.  I've skimmed the doc and started these getting started vids and they just talk about once you've launched 3dc.  i don't see any good install instructions anywhere or an explaination of the 4 exe files in windows version.  could someone please explain this to me. 

also if i buy this software I'm looking for a new laptop to run it on.  any suggestions with the 4th gen intel.  i would require an additional video card if i understand correctly to take advantage of certain things.  anyone using this on windows 8.1 64 bit?  do i need a NVidia card or the intel 4600 gpu...what are the differences.  I'm sorry if this has been explained becore i am new i don't see a search option in the forum???

thanks for any help

kind regards

preecher

Yeah...I wish Andrew would make it save an icon to the desktop, but what I do is just go to the main installation directory (where the 3D Coat .exe files are) > choose the one that works best for me > right-click on it > Send To > Desktop.

The Direct X version works better than the OpenGL version, in my experience, and I'm sure Andrew would also recommend it. The next consideration is, whether or not you have a decent NVidia card (most that are 5yrs or newer have a decent number of CUDA cores). If you do, the you probably want to work with the DX CUDA version. If you have an ATI/AMD card, then you don't have CUDA and need to use the SIMP (standing for simple) version.

CUDA was a big thing when V3 came out 5yrs ago or so, and it's still pretty helpful when working with Voxels, but Andrew has really focused more on CPU multi-threading throughout the app. And it utilizes Intel's TBB (Thread Building Blocks) library, which gives you a pretty substantial boost in performance if you are using an Intel CPU. Was using an AMD X6 1090T for a few years, and when I built a new desktop, I went with an Intel i7 970, and the boost was very noticeable.

If you are going with a laptop, I would suggest looking at the Lenovo Y500 line. Bought a y580 a few years back and I couldn't find a model with more bang for the buck. They have fairly decent NVidia GPU's (don't want to skimp on the GPU if you can help it...cause you cannot replace them with a better model in a laptop....unlike memory or a hard drive). But even if you got one that had an ATI/AMD card, you won't notice a major drop in performance in 95% of the app.

Oh, and yeah...I use Windows 8.1. No issues that I'm aware of

Edited by AbnRanger

thanks i am currently using an i7 960 as well...1st gen with a NVidia geoforce gt 430 i think...so should i be using the cuda version..it has 96 cuda cores...i am kinda technical but don't really understand the cuda thing.  i just need to know which version i should run on my system and the laptop I'm looking at is an i7 asus with NVidia geoforce 765 or similar...that would be good for this software yes???  what about ram...does 3dc utilize ram ...is there a max...I'm lookin at a 16 gig system...thanks again for your quick response.  i think one of those exe files specified geoforce?  it was dx and ogl...cuda.  yes i know how to make a desktop but thanks for your explanation. i guess it makes sense to not have 4 on there.  it is a little confusing to me still.  it seems the install should recognize your system specs and install the most suitalble version.  but i'll start with those neat new user vid's making the mouse and experiment if i see a diff or not....if your using windows 8.1...have you used a touch screen with this.  is it beneficial at all.  I've read all these people ranting over the touch screen once you get use to it but these are surfers not 3d artists i think so I'm curious.  i have like 4 wacoms...older

i think the cuda dx version is what i was playing around with last nite and no problems...i made a little sun face model in about 3 mins.  fun...thanks again for any tips.

regards,

preecher