3DCoat Forums

DPI / PPI does it matter when painting in 3DC ?

Laticis

• Advanced Member

Hi :)

Been a while since I have posted here, finally getting back in touch with 3D Coat a going through a trial and error approach with baby steps to creating props for DAZ Studio

Apps being used 3D Coat & Photoshop / ZBrush / DAZStudio / Octane

Examples: 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/FREE-DAZ-Prop-Morphing-Fantasy-Rock-452194949

http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/FREE-Objects-DAZ-Prop-Hoard-of-Dragon-Eggs-450687263

At the moment I a struggling with textures, I really do love 3DCoats approach to 3DPainting the objects but the quality of my textures is where I fall short.

So used to working at 300 DPI in Photoshop.

Will 3DCoat's generated / painted texture maps be affected / improved in any way by upping the image resolution ?

Will textures created at 4096 x 4096 give that minute detail ?

The idea being specifically created, very detailed props designed for close up rendering in Octane.

The other issue I ran into, which I feel is more DAZ related, (UV Mapped ) Painted triangulated prop, imported into DS Studio rendered fine via the Octane Plugin but the texture map renders distorted in DAZ.

Attached is the Octane render, DS Render, Screenshot of Triangulated Prop and the Diffuse Texture Map

Any help or thoughts would be very much appreciated :)

Cheers Laticis

post-2581-0-26749900-1400512292_thumb.jp

post-2581-0-46024700-1400512321_thumb.jp

post-2581-0-70456700-1400512359_thumb.jp

post-2581-0-57039900-1400512406_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

dpi and ppi is only relevant if you are converting pixels to inches or cm.

if all your work is in the computer than those values have absolutely zero relevance.

a 4096x4096 image is the same at 2ppi and at 124532523ppi. you will only be able to see the different when you print. Because thats what tells the printer how much pixels to print per inch.

• Advanced Member

Okay, I am satisfied now, a 4k texture is certainly sufficient if I want to go to extremes.

I created a support texture with FilterForge at 4k - Cubic Paint filled the object with that map ( tiled twice approx ) - rendered in Octane via DAZ Studio

post-2581-0-12441300-1400521632_thumb.jp

• Like 1