3DCoat Forums

1 stickykey - alter brush size

ghib

• Advanced Member

I would like to hopefully see (instead of having 2 different keys to increase/decrease radius of brush) only 1 key when pressed temporarily, will allow you to interactively alter the size by scrubbing left and right.

And the same method would apply to the 'strength' or transparency as it's known in 3DCoat.

This is a similar method to how they implemented brush size & strength in mudbox and one that I feel is most elegant. Not sure if there are any issues with appropriating their style and implementing in 3dCoat.

my mockup

stickykey_brush.jpg

I'm sure there are hundreds of other ways this could be done visually, but the main thing is to get the temporary key press.

cheers.

p.s. the red strength indicator only displays when the hotkey for strength is pressed. Would ideally disappear when released.

• Advanced Member

hmmm...you prefer this sticky-key as opposed to Silo's mmb+drag(up/down, or right/left) implementation? (I think I recognize your

nickname as a Silo user as well, no?)

Personally, I'd much prefer the Silo way of controlling size and depth with mmb+drag (which can easily be assigned to stylus as well)

and had thought it was requested before (but maybe overlooked). Or are we talking about the same thing, but just offering the choice

of how one assigns the sticky key to either keyboard or mouse/stylus buttons?

• Advanced Member

Correct, I'm a huge silo user but have never been a fan of the RMB combined brush resize/strength method. I much prefer the clarity of having the two functions on seperate hotkeys as I sometimes hit the wrong axis and end up having to make several corrective adjustments to get back to my initial brush size etc. I do however know a few people who swear by this method so I can see the need for customisation.

Sorry I must've overlooked the request for the silo method already. I did a quick search but it was really late at night and I'm prone to make lots of mistakes.

*sigh* now if only development on Silo were as innovative and prolific as Andrew and 3DCoat.. or.. :)

• Advanced Member
Correct, I'm a huge silo user but have never been a fan of the RMB combined brush resize/strength method. I much prefer the clarity of having the two functions on seperate hotkeys as I sometimes hit the wrong axis and end up having to make several corrective adjustments to get back to my initial brush size etc. I do however know a few people who swear by this method so I can see the need for customisation.
i like both methods of changing the brush radius interactively. I just want to change side and depth using different shortcuts.

Seconded. No combined double axis wizardry. Two different hotkeys for two different settings please (or a third assignable hotkey for the combined function). :)

3dioot