3DCoat Forums

How to work to keep 3d coat working smoothly and fast

Hey Guys

My name Grzegorz Pedrycz I live in Poland and  I am freelance concept artist starting my adventure in 3dc and .. I like it a lot so far!

I have a one important questions to the pro users here ;)

How looking good workflow in 3dc to keep them working fast and smooth ? I amen when use voxel mode when surface , how many tris per layer is optimal to keep good performance in the viewport etc

All good habits/advices are more than welcome !

Cheers

-G   

• Advanced Member

Grzegorz, a good idea may be to experiment with the voxel menu >decimate option when in surface mode.

This will show you how far you can decimate geometry whilst maintaining details such as sharp edges.

If however you are vertex painting the amount of tris that you need or do not need will depend on the resolution of the vertex painting you require.

If you working with voxels you can cache the layers to save on system demand if things slow down.

Avoid attempting to capture high resolution details with voxels - use surface or move to bump/displacement mapping.

Not sure whether this still applies with surface sculpting but pressing enter to apply your changes certainly used to help speed up flow.

I've found in the past that meshes too large can behave strangely with rendering and brush sculpting - so avoid meshes that are very large in physical dimensions in relation to the grid.

Also, always pay attention to the lowest required polygon amount you can get away with. This is a good habit to adopt as it avoids slow downs as any project build in size. If your using 3dcoat to quickly create meshes to export to other applications you can simplify your 3dcoat files to contain only that which is needed for each element of a larger scene that you intend to recombine and render elsewhere. Similarly if you choose to render in a 3dcoat scene you could  import all 3dcoat components created in smaller files back to the final scene for the final render only.