3DCoat Forums

Question About Edu vs Pro

TReischl

Go to solution Solved by Michaelgdrs,

Hello!

I am just getting started with 3DC and am really liking it after figuring out a few things by watching a lot of tutorials.

Today I wanted to customize the interface a bit.  Mostly I wanted to set units as was mentioned in one of the videos I watched.  Never found that but it is probably just me.  However, I looked at the V4.5 manual and noticed that I could set up a "SkyBox", well, not really, it does not appear anywhere in Preferences that I can find.

So that got me to thinking. . . .(dangerous, I know) are there more differences between Edu and Pro than:

1) no commercial usage
2) textures size to export is limited to 2048x2048
3) layers amount is limited to 7

?????

I am using 3DC primarily to create models for my CNC router.  I think 3DC is great because it is one of the few reasonably priced programs that allows grayscale images to be exported and does it beautifully.  The other thing is that I also have a rotary axis so I can machine full 3D models (no undercuts, tough to do with an end mill).

If there are quite a few of these differences I have no problem upgrading to Pro to acquire them.  I do not use the software commercially so the Edu license was very attractive. 

Thanks in advance!

Ted

• Contributor

Greetings and welcome to the community.

Those are the only differences from pro to edu.

For the layers you can have more than 7 by duplicating the layers.  (This may be a bug or intended to work like that , either way it doesn't matter as ethically you are not allowed to work commercially with it)

You can always buy the Edu , learn it and then upgrade to Pro so you can work commercially .

If you are interested in Edu i sell mine for $70 via paypal.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

Thanks for the offer, but I already purchased the EDU.

I double checked my screen vs the manual, and yup, no skybox.  There are some other differences too, nothing major.  I am thinking the manual is not quite as up to date as the software.  The units thing is a mystery too, but once again I can easily work around it.  I am running Aspire from Vectric which has the ability to scale or switch units to metric/imperial.  Aspire is a grayscale modeler specifically for use with CNC machines.  Another really good tool.

The limitations in the EDU are no issue for me at this time but that could change.

• Like 1

• Contributor
  • Solution

Its impossible to have other differences as i have both Edu and Pro , manual is a bit old so it may look different , that's another story.

Glad to hear that you made the buy, you are going to be a very very happy costumer.

Again welcome to the community.