3DCoat Forums

Object disappears in paint room

hexadecimale

Hello,

1) I modeled an object in Maya. I UV'ed that object in Maya. I exported the object as .obj

2) I imported the object in 3D coat, subdivided a bit to smooth those angles, applied, then added more resolution to the voxel.

3) I am ready to paint. I click on the Paint tab. 3D coat switches to Paint mode but my voxel object disappears. Well, I know there is something there and I click on those UV modes and commands hoping it would reappear somehow but nothing works so far.

Do i do something wrong? is my mesh too big or too small for UV?

The ideal is here, low poly in maya, high cage in 3d coat. Get some occlusion and normals set in 3D coat. Create substance in designers. import everything in maya 2012.

Thanks in advance

3dcoat1.jpg

3dcoat2.jpg

3dcoat3.jpg

• Advanced Member

in the paint room up top row click on VIEW  > then check   show voxel in paint room..    too get a model in view port use Shift A  that will center it in view.  Your model is in voxel mode in the Sculpt Room  go to Retopo Room  in there you can retopo it  Bake  and   UV  it . the Retopo room has its own UV tool set in also.    The UV Room you are in above would be if you brought your model in 3dc into the paint room  and you could use the tweak room and the UV room . I wish 3dc would just color code the rooms for a visual clue of these work together in most situations.   If you go from sculpt room to paint room in voxel mode you will be painting directly on you model .  you could import your model With Out voxelization  its in the Tool Options  panel pop-up when you bring your model in check the box.  I also hit Auto Scale then hit apply . this puts your model in surface mode it will be the same as it was in your other program .   

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch ballistic.

Substance designer and maya need UVs set up. I watched 3d Coat video tuts yesterday on youtube whereas 1 video would tell you that in voxel you paint straight on the model while many other video painting tuts do not show the voxtree for a single second so I had too little info to point a reference and conclusion.

i don't particularly like the auto scale per se. It crunches triangles and scales the object down a lot while the video tut importing low poly mesh mentions an object too big or too small will be impacting the resolution versus machine capability. Also the funny thing is that auto scale makes the mesh scale down so much that it seems it disappears. I can see the pivot but scaling up a few time across the entire screen does not show the mesh again

I am going to re-import the mesh without voxel and work with surfaces. the mesh itself just needs a few alpha growth/extrude, some ambient, normals, and perhaps cavity that I just found out in a tut last night.

Edited by hexadecimale

• Advanced Member

From your screen shot top 1st one your model is very big verses the grid would explain why the 23,000,000 count the bigger scale =  more voxels to keep sharp/form but only voxel mode. . auto scale is just the opposite for me I don't see my model then I do coming in from Blender. try a default cube from Maya with auto scale to see how big. But whatever is working for you glad I could help some. Note  Shift A  should get you back to your model.