3DCoat Forums

Adding customized shader to panel

David O'Neil

When you are in the sculpt room, if you 'edit shader settings' on current object, and get it to the way you like, is there a way to get that shader back into your shaders palette? Or is the only way to copy a shader to begin with, and only work on the master copy?  I've looked around and couldn't find anything, but hope I missed something.

Thanks!

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, David O'Neil said:

When you are in the sculpt room, if you 'edit shader settings' on current object, and get it to the way you like, is there a way to get that shader back into your shaders palette? Or is the only way to copy a shader to begin with, and only work on the master copy?  I've looked around and couldn't find anything, but hope I missed something.

Thanks!

When Andrew gets done with Sculpt Layers, he really needs to visit this and add the ability to copy shader w. settings of selected object (not just it's base shader settings, but as you mentioned, changes you may have made specifically to the object) and add some sort of softness parameter to the Cavity and Bulge. They are too harsh and course, as shadows are generally diffuse with soft edges.

This needs to be addressed in the Cavity Conditions painting in the Paint Workspace, as well.

• Like 1

(On the bright side, regarding the shadows that I agree with, the red matcap material in the default palette is set up awesomely for giving you fine sculpting feedback that you can't get with almost all the other materials. So I hope he keeps that one as-is! But the others - you are absolutely right. Way too harsh.)

• Reputable Contributor
27 minutes ago, David O'Neil said:

Thanks. <sadface>

In all fairness to Andrew, the inability to create a copy from a shader that has been modfied just for one object, only, is a low percentage use case. That's probably why he never thought to add it. If you want to modify a current shader and save it, there is an option for that (RMB > CONSTRUCT NEW SHADER). But those two changes should be made. I would also like to see an option to rotate the images used in the shaders. Sometimes they don't line up, properly and there is no way to adjust them, otherwise.