3DCoat Forums

Better Focus on mesh

ghib

• Advanced Member

A way to focus in on specific parts of a mesh (currently hitting HOME) will focus on the entire mesh.

Mudbox uses a method of brush size and pointer position on surface mesh to zoom in to specific parts where the size of brush determines the zoom distance. (Smaller = closer. Larger = further away)

Something similar would be nice as currently zooming in and out can get a bit wild.

• Advanced Member

yeah, I love the "rotate around current pick point" navigation, and

it would be great to have "Zoom toward current pick point" for zooming. :)

It's called "Zoom about mouse point" in 3ds max, please see the video below for better explanation.

http://www.screencast.com/users/akirabeta/...65-139fcb4d7b62

Regards,

akira.

• Advanced Member
yeah, I love the "rotate around current pick point" navigation, and

it would be great to have "Zoom toward current pick point" for zooming. :)

It's called "Zoom about mouse point" in 3ds max, please see the video below for better explanation.

http://www.screencast.com/users/akirabeta/...65-139fcb4d7b62

Regards,

akira.

ha, nice smart reply ;p I'm very well aware of ALL that you mentioned but my point (if you'll take the time) was...

...the zoom function in 3DC isn't fine enough when you get really close to a model. i.e. you're zooming in and out at a speed that is too fast for fine work.

Now. Look at the way Mudbox does it.. or even Maya/3dsmax(as you mentioned) and you will realise that you can pick certain parts of a mesh and focus in on it.. The zoom tool is then reset to a more local scale and is easy to work with at close quarters.

Thanks for your answer but lets take a look at how we can improve on what is already in.

Cheers

*see 1st post ammendment in bold for the operative point I should have stressed*

• Advanced Member
ha, nice smart reply ;p I'm very well aware of ALL that you mentioned but my point (if you'll take the time) was...

...the zoom function in 3DC isn't fine enough when you get really close to a model. i.e. you're zooming in and out at a speed that is too fast for fine work.

Now. Look at the way Mudbox does it.. or even Maya/3dsmax(as you mentioned) and you will realise that you can pick certain parts of a mesh and focus in on it.. The zoom tool is then reset to a more local scale and is easy to work with at close quarters.

Thanks for your answer but lets take a look at how we can improve on what is already in.

Cheers

*see 1st post ammendment in bold for the operative point I should have stressed*

Ah, I see. Yeah this is a great and important idea.

This zooming issue usually happens on voxel mode because of the tiny size of the default sphere plus the wide default angle of FOV.

Current workaround is to increase object 2x(decrease density to make it bigger) two times or more, modify FOV to 35 degree,

and lower the value of zoom speed under preference menu, that will make you feel better. :)

akira.

• Advanced Member
Ah, I see. Yeah this is a great and important idea.

This zooming issue usually happens on voxel mode because of the tiny size of the default sphere plus the wide default angle of FOV.

Current workaround is to increase object 2x(decrease density to make it bigger) two times or more, modify FOV to 35 degree,

and lower the value of zoom speed under preference menu, that will make you feel better. :)

akira.

I very rarely use Voxels, they're not a part of my workflow yet. This happens with me on imported models for DP. Zooming in really close (especially if the model has many multiple parts with small local detail) is where my problem lies with the current navigation system. Which is near perfect imho.

3DC's rotate around current pick point was actually one of the major factors that influenced me to purchase a license.. I hated bodypaint's nav THAT much.