3DCoat Forums

New to 3D COAT.....my thoughts

NLPLP

Just testing the demo.

Tried Zbrush and even though I liked the tools I hated that loosey goosey direction towards modeling .

3D Coat completely fills that gap and does everything that I wished Zbrush did. I absolutely love the implementation of poly modeling and the nurb modeling features cause I love starting my concepts with curves. I think the Loft and the Swept N need some serious love but they are very promising once they are fixed. Love how everything can snap to nurbs curves as few modeling packages manage to create that conforming to curves workflow. I can now stay within one package without going to Blender.

Please, please keep improving the Poly modeling cause its a fantastic start and has great promise.

Sculpting is the shit diggity on turbosteroids! AMAZING!!!!!Learning more as we speak....

Thank you for this amazing package and I will gladly support its development by buying a license

• Like 2

I agree with NLPLP above.  To be honest, it wasn't the messy interface of ZBrush that drove me to 3DCoat, but the new subscription model that ultimately made me quit ZBrush for good and 100% switch over to 3DCoat.  Everyone is told that ZBrush is the industry standard, but as a hobbyist, 3DCoat is adequate enough for me and the interface of 3DCoat is a whole lot cleaner.  The voxel sculpting system is just pure genius, allowing users to focus purely on the sculpting and not worrying about stretched polygons (unless you're using surface mode).

3DCoat is far from a complete package, which is why I have to disagree and say that I do have to switch back and forth between Blender and 3DCoat.  On a side note, I have to say that I used to subscribe to Autodesk for Maya, but that is no longer the case, as both Blender and 3DCoat fills that gap.  Again, I'm a hobbyist and makes no sense paying hundreds of dollars for some piece of software that I'm only using maybe once or twice a month.

At the moment, I own 2 copies/licenses for 3DCoat.  One for use on my main desktop computer and the other for use on my Microsoft Surface Book 3.  I also want to mention I do have both a Wacom Cintiq Pro 32 and a Huion Kamvas Pro 24 (4k).  Between the two, I love the Huion better and the OLED display on the Huion really makes the colors pop.  Then if you pair this with a StreamDeck for shortcut buttons, you basically have the ultimate experience.  For those with a StreamDeck, I did make a few icons, which you can download in the attachment here.  Although it did take me several hours to put this all together, I don't want to take credit for it, as all I did was copied the same icons from the 3DCoat user interface.  Maybe someone can take this over and add more icons (or make it even better)?

stream_deck_icons.zip

• Like 2