3DCoat Forums

Paint room & Retopo Room together?

Samuele

Question

Hi,

i'm working on a model of about 200.000 triangles (mid poly size) and I don't want (and need) to reduce the poly count as i'll use it in UE5 with nanite enabled.

I know i can import it in the paint room with no problems and make UV there but i need too the modeling tools of the retopo room.

I've tried to import it directly in the retopo room, it notifies me that it has more than 50.000 triangles. It works but the workflow is quite slow.

One day will the retopo room be merged with the paint room so it will be easy to work there with medium poly meshes too?

thanks

Samuele

2 answers to this question

• Reputable Contributor
3 hours ago, Samuele said:

Hi,

i'm working on a model of about 200.000 triangles (mid poly size) and I don't want (and need) to reduce the poly count as i'll use it in UE5 with nanite enabled.

I know i can import it in the paint room with no problems and make UV there but i need too the modeling tools of the retopo room.

I've tried to import it directly in the retopo room, it notifies me that it has more than 50.000 triangles. It works but the workflow is quite slow.

One day will the retopo room be merged with the paint room so it will be easy to work there with medium poly meshes too?

thanks

Samuele

Please send this request to support@pilgway.com, because I too have made basically the same request for years. Merging the Paint and Retopo Rooms make a lot of sense, as the UV room would then be the only logical place to work on UV's. Its current configuration is super confusing to new users. I think it's a big undertaking and Andrew perhaps doesn't think the benefit is substantial enough to do it. Nevertheless, the more the community requests it, the higher the priority it gets.

By the way, don't worry about the warning of the poly count. The Retopo Room can handle a mid poly mesh just fine.

I agree with you. The UV room in paint and retopo workspaces is a lot confusing. 
While it i has sense to have different workspaces for paint and sculpt rooms it's quite weird to have to bake a mesh in retopo when you have to texture it later in paint workspace