3DCoat Forums

Random requests

GabeM

I'll just put everything in a single thread as I come up with ideas.

[ Retopology ]

1 = Back face culling on extrude wire frame preview. Being able to see the lines on the back of a model is very distracting, I can't tell if I'm looking at the lines on the front or back.

2 = Rotate and scale option for extrude

3 = Bridge, select two edge loops or the edges you want, then create polygons to connect them all at once. Have a way to twist the connection for areas like the forearm.

4 = The quad tool should be able to create a starting polygon without having to connect to another edge.

5 = Walk edges to increase or decrease selection.

6 = spin quads like light wave

7 = An automatic edge loop for stroke mode. It should work like the cross sections, but instead will make an edge loop that can be rotated to better fit different shapes from different angles.

8 = Average spacing, like smooth but faster. Make a selection and click average to get better spacing between polygons.

9 = Automatic, like quadrangulate, but you can select an area of the model like a UV set. Then click auto mesh to create a large area automatically based on the few guide lines. Then maybe adjust some sliders to get the result you want in real time.

10 = Best guess, a brush that can paint topology depending on existing mesh and surface detail. Quadrangulate does this already, but you could paint it on instead for better control, and to fill areas quickly. An extra option would be influence of stroke direction, so instead of rubbing you make long strokes.

11 = Patches, similar to the quad tool but it works with splines and has control over subdivision within it. You can make large sections with this using only 2 - 4 lines, similar to nurbs modeling.

If used like the bridge tool, the sub division would depend on the existing edges the lines are connected to.

12 = Weld slider, you can select a lot of vertesies and weld all at once using different influence settings.

13 = wireframe view of retopo mesh or an opacity slider.

14 = x-ray view with backface culling

15 = Make layers independent or not, sometimes I want to try a different edge flow on a new layer, but I keep snapping to the hidden mesh.

16 = layer folders with global opacity and wire/shade views.

• Contributor
I'll just put everything in a single thread as I come up with ideas.

[ Retopology ]

1 = Back face culling on extrude wire frame preview. Being able to see the lines on the back of a model is very distracting, I can't tell if I'm looking at the lines on the front or back.

2 = Rotate and scale option for extrude

3 = Bridge, select two edge loops or the edges you want, then create polygons to connect them all at once. Have a way to twist the connection for areas like the forearm.

4 = The quad tool should be able to create a starting polygon without having to connect to another edge.

5 = Walk edges to increase or decrease selection.

6 = spin quads like light wave

7 = An automatic edge loop for stroke mode. It should work like the cross sections, but instead will make an edge loop that can be rotated to better fit different shapes from different angles.

8 = Average spacing, like smooth but faster. Make a selection and click average to get better spacing between polygons.

9 = Automatic, like quadrangulate, but you can select an area of the model like a UV set. Then click auto mesh to create a large area automatically based on the few guide lines. Then maybe adjust some sliders to get the result you want in real time.

10 = Best guess, a brush that can paint topology depending on existing mesh and surface detail. Quadrangulate does this already, but you could paint it on instead for better control, and to fill areas quickly. An extra option would be influence of stroke direction, so instead of rubbing you make long strokes.

11 = Patches, similar to the quad tool but it works with splines and has control over subdivision within it. You can make large sections with this using only 2 - 4 lines, similar to nurbs modeling.

If used like the bridge tool, the sub division would depend on the existing edges the lines are connected to.

Good ideas. I would also like to add a command for unambiguosly applying the painfully created new topology to the UV map. I really don't have a clear idea what I am supposed to do when I finish retopolgy. The last thing I did (Merge for Per-Pixel) gave me this concoction that had my topology on top of the old topology that I want to replace and showed only the old UV in the Editor. In retopo I see what I have done in retopo and when I switch to the UV tab, there's the old stuff. What is the preferred method of applying the new topology?post-1430-1251739461_thumb.png

More for Retopology

16 = Select by element

17 = Import .obj in to specified layer or automatic new layer when importing an obj.

18 = grow and reduce selection

19 = Cut tool that you can draw with and cut many polygons with a single stroke. Also allow the normal cut tool to jump several edges, instead of having to click each one at a time.

20 = The cut tool should be able to insert points in the shaded area of polygons.

21 = Polygons created in a selected layer should stay in that layer. For some reason polygon creation does not respect layer selections in 3dc 3.1. If I make geometry in one layer, it will show up in different layers.

22 = Mesh check to select n-gons, triangles, open edges and poles.

23 = Traditional polygon modeling / box modeling in the retopo mode.

[Numerical Sliders]

Any where you can type a number for things like primitives, etc. I would like to change those values by clicking and dragging, maybe use the middle mouse button for that. Another option is to set them to zero quickly by right clicking on it like in 3ds.max.