3DCoat Forums

Very simple, but useful ref image improvement

Haamu

Might seem like odd request, but can we please have an option to export viewport reference planes as mesh.

I often start my work with 3DC specially now with the curve improvements, but I also tend to juggle a lot between 3DC, Max and Zbrush and often want to use the same reference images. It would dramatically reduce setup time in other apps if there was a way to port references together with the work piece, already perfectly scaled and aligned.

• Contributor
Might seem like odd request, but can we please have an option to export viewport reference planes as mesh.

I often start my work with 3DC specially now with the curve improvements, but I also tend to juggle a lot between 3DC, Max and Zbrush and often want to use the same reference images. It would dramatically reduce setup time in other apps if there was a way to port references together with the work piece, already perfectly scaled and aligned.

Without having tried it, setting up two planes in 3DC and exporting the mesh as obj should fill the bill. They can be painted with the desired images.

There are some workarounds like that of course. Quickest way I've found is to make the plane arrangement in max, port to 3dc and scale ref planes to match them, which is simple enough, but unnecessary extra step nonetheless. Real meshes won't show up in vox mode and the way ref planes work is much better anyway.