3DCoat Forums

Voxel Sculpting- Per Pixel Painting

bluerider

First off I gotta say, what an awesome piece of software.

Of all the 3D texture/ sculpting programs on the market at the moment, this is my favorite. I've been using this more and more over the other competition. Mainly due to the power and ease of use as regards the U.I.

Even the key board short cuts for navigating the object in the interface are intuitive for me. Here are two main recurring problems I am having with the application at the moment.

1) The problem I have is importing LightWave Objects into Voxel Sculpting, it's a little convoluted. Is there a way of making it easier, rather than closing object and the other commands you have to do to get a SubD'ed object in. Even then, hitting enter, it takes a while to know if you've make it work.

2) Plus transferring a Voxel sculpted object into the paint mode is also not quite as intuitive. It's a bit of a work around.

I've been demonstrating this application in conjunction with lightWave at a few major event such as ComicCon. I have to say, the software impressed a good number of people who were not aware of 3D Coats powerful tool set and the fact that it imports so easily into Per Pixel Painting Mode and the Microtex Painting.

In another thread Andrew mentioned that he was looking into ways of automatically capping holes in the mesh when you import to voxels. Even still the best way it probably to do it in LW Modeler (or whatever other application). What part of going from voxels to painting is not intuitive, the retopology?

• Advanced Member

In another thread Andrew mentioned that he was looking into ways of automatically capping holes in the mesh when you import to voxels. Even still the best way it probably to do it in LW Modeler (or whatever other application). What part of going from voxels to painting is not intuitive, the retopology?

Actually I felt the same way, before I really fully understood the workflow. It took a bit, but once I got it, it all became clear.

I use non-closed meshes all the time, actually... from my Next Engine 3D Scanner. I just thicken (Import as skin) the geometry toward the inside (the number represents a thickness in Voxels). Then I fill the holes with the increase, or fill tool. It's something you just can't easily, IMHExperience, do in other software.

But again, it took a while to get. read the manual, and read the hints... they will help. Although the english could probably be improved quite a bit.

Also, if the OBJ, or whatever you're importing does not define a volume (non-manifold faces, or vertices, etc) then it's not going to well... define a volume of VOXELS very well.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.