3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Adding textures to you reference meshes ?

Mix Mash

OK, another dumb newbie question but how do you add a texture to you reference meshes. I have a reference mesh that I saved out from Lightwave that has UVs and a texture applied. I imported the mesh into 3d coat and no texture showed. Fair enough but now I have no idea of how to take the texture image I made (a simple colour map) and apply it to my reference mesh.

Would somebody be kind enough to let me know how to apply a texture image to my reference mesh?

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Man, you said it's a "Reference mesh". Then how could you think you can paint on it? "Reference mesh" can't be paint because it's reference mesh.

But add texture to reference meshes should work. Are you sure it doesn't work? A screen video will be welcome. Maybe you've missed something and maybe we could find it through your video.

:)

Man, you said it's a "Reference mesh". Then how could you think you can paint on it? "Reference mesh" can't be paint because it's reference mesh.

But add texture to reference meshes should work. Are you sure it doesn't work? A screen video will be welcome. Maybe you've missed something and maybe we could find it through your video.

:)

Oh, I tried applying a texture onto the reference mesh like I mentioned and nothing happened.

I also tried importing a normal mesh for painting and it didn't work (This was a different time previously). I will experiment with this one later, though. It was probably just a mistake on my part.

However, no matter what I do with the reference mesh, the mesh just stays completely grey.

Basically:

1) Create mesh in Lightwave with single surface

2) Create uvs

3) Apply UVs to the surface and save object

4) Load mesh into 3d coat as reference mesh

5) Texture > Import > Diffuse map >"My image.jpg"

6) Nothing happens. Mesh stays completely grey.

I'd like to mention that I am using a legal version of the software and not a copy.

What could I be missing?

Could you attach that Lightwave mesh for test? :)

OK, I found out what the problem was. You can't import your mesh as a reference mesh. You need to import your mesh with one of the painting options (IE import mesh for per pixel painting, etc...)

With the mesh imported correctly, I could import the image onto the mesh correctly, too.

Thank you once again for your help.

Much appreciations.

Cheers,

Paul

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Adding textures to you reference meshes ?