3DCoat Forums

moving uv maps around

Kirch

Hi- I have been wrestling with this for a few days now and figured I'd post a question here hoping that those of you who might have heard it already can find the time to give an answer. If not an answer than a point in the right direction.

I have a scanned object that I bring into 3dc for retopology as well as UV mapping.

I then take the retopologized model into zbrush for some detailed sculpting.

What I would like to do is get the UV map created in 3DC applied to the model in Zbrush for texturing in Zbrush. Alternately, I can export the detailed zbrush model back into 3DC and apply my UV map and texture in 3DC.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Regards,

Karl

• Reputable Contributor

If you have used the quadrangulate feature in the voxel room, then in the retopo room merge your object using merge into scene (microverts) other selections will works but I just use this one. The uv map will be created using the automap feature. Now you can export your model as a obj file and the uv map will be included with it.

If you have made your own uv map in 3DC, then use the export option in the retopo room. Save the model as a obj and the uv map will be included with it.

In Zbrush the UV map will load with the obj file, there is nothing you have to do. You can check seams if you like and of course use can choose different texture image sizes.

Remember that 3dc can only support up to about 750,000 polygons. so you have to make a displacement map in Zbrush and load that in a layer in 3DC to get the high level details. or save in zbrush up to a 16 meg high detail obj file. The uv map will be exported as well.

First In 3DC for reading the up to 16 meg obj file use the microvertex painting import not per-pixel.

Then load the low polygon version(same uv map),make a new layer and then under import options choose load big mesh.Choose the up to 16 meg obj file. 3DC will read the high detail level obj file(same uv map as low polygon version, make a displacement map and load it into the layer for the high level details. Then paint away.

Any texture maps saved in 3DC or Zbrush use the normal import options in both programs...

I have moved models fron the retopo room and uv room into zbrush and get an idea as to how the model and the uv's are moved. Unfortunately, what I have done is created the model in Zbrush. I then moved that model to 3DC and retopolgized again to get a lo res mesh that I can get a UV map from. I was thinking that there was a way to get thenewly created low res uv's from 3dc mapped to the previouly created hi res version of the same model in zbrush. I guess what I should have done was create my retopologized mesh and UV in 3DC then move it to Zbrush for final detailing. From there I could either texture in zbrush or move it back to 3dc as obj depending on size.

At this point it looks like I need to do this over and in the order outlined above. :blink: