3DCoat Forums

Cloning from background/stencil image

Frankie

• Advanced Member

This has been asked several times in the past, but I'm still missing the ability to clone using a separate source image in pixel painting room.

I find the 'material stencil' very difficult and unintuitive to use due to the superimposing of the 3d object and the source image. Whatever the transparency settings.

Cloning from another source is standard stuff in Photoshop or Maya 3d paint, so I guess many users would find it comfortable to work with.

It would be good to be able to use the clone tool by picking source either in the background image, or the stencil image (would require the ability to display stencil image as a background @ 100% opacity). I would prefer the latter because you can move/scale/rotate the image anyway you like as opposed to the fixed background image.

Hope you can implement this feature soon.

All the best,

Franck.

• Advanced Member

while it's a cumbersome work-around, you could 'merge' a plane into

3DC (as a sub-object) and apply the texture image you want for use

with the clone tool...

Yeah, that's the way I used to work with Maya 3d paint. However in Maya I could parent the plane to the camera so it wouldn't tumble with the view, and to my knowledge this is not feasible in 3dc, or is it?

Franck.