3DCoat Forums

Smooth for the Voxel Surface tools...

cakeller

• Advanced Member

I think it would be a great help in the updated sculpting tools, and make them much more useful if there was a Smooth All command (of course limit to un-frozen).

It would be especially great if it was a surface preserving type smooth like Laplacian smoothing which just reduces the surface energy (works toward average edge-lengths) without losing (too much of) the form/shape.

It would improve the usefulness of the updated surface tools. Since as you, yourself suggested, the surface mode is for when you need to continue to refine a model that cannot be voxelized dues to resolution limitations (4-6 M Polys )

Since you cannot re-voxelize super large models anyway, it would be really important to be able to FIX surface anomales.

but really - since the surface tools are fast - not having to revoxelize them , even for lower resolution models, would be a big benefit.

------- SORRY, I meant MLS, or "RIMLS (Robust Implicit MLS) variation which is an extension of Implicit MLS preserving sharp features using non linear regression" ... Oztireli, Guennebaud and Gross, "Feature Preserving Point Set Surfaces based on Non-Linear Kernel Regression"

this smoothing method works really well ESPECIALLY on high-poly models... Basically the points are allowed to move as far as they need to to get good smoothing, but are not allowed to leave the orginal surface - they can slide around...

• Advanced Member

In fact, Andrew stated today that he is going to make baking the surface possible without changing back to voxels.

I am suggesting a SMOOTH ALL feature for voxel surfaces. ? what does that have to do with what andrew stated today (yes, I know he said he's going to make BAKING directly from voxel SURFACEs available)

or maybe I shoulda just said... HUHHHH????