3DCoat Forums

retopology, symmetry, export basics

believable3d

I've been working in Poser for about 16 months, and I'm just starting to dip in the shallow end of the pool with modelling, and I decided to upgrade my 3D Coat from version 2 to version 3.

My first project is to create a very simple skull cap for V4 that I can use for dynamic hair and maybe hair models later on.

I'm using the retopo tool in 3D Coat, and trying to generally follow

, although in his case it was for a piece of clothing.

I have a few really basic questions that reflect my inexperience.

1) If the 3D Coat's display shows "bare patches" in the polygons, should I normally be adding more polygons to make sure that the surface area is covered? (My first draft skull cap is supposedly 220 faces and 210 verts, though that may be per side; I'd need to verify.)

2) I'm having some difficulty with the symmetry tool. It apparently works, but when I export the model, I'm only exporting the original side. I'm reading the 3D Coat manual, but I don't see any info regarding how to actually "merge" the two sides.

3) Can someone point me in a direction whereby I can get the .obj file Poser ready? Poser acts funny when I import the present geometry (i.e. panning doesn't work etc). What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

• Reputable Contributor

Go to the retopo menu at the top of the screen. Select Apply symmetry. Next turn symmetry off and you will see both halves are merged together. Now you can export your whole model. If you post a picture of the bare spots it would be easier to understand where on the mesh that is happening.

post-518-1261378543035_thumb.jpg

Go to the retopo menu at the top of the screen. Select Apply symmetry. Next turn symmetry off and you will see both halves are merged together. Now you can export your whole model. If you post a picture of the bare spots it would be easier to understand where on the mesh that is happening.

Ah, thanks!

I wasn't able to get a screen shot earlier because my computer was beginning to act up.

From what I'm reading in the Poser manual, I was probably going about this the wrong way... it says that for dynamic hair, you want a skull cap with more polygons, not less, so that you can have more detailed control over the hair surfaces. So I'll try again with more polys (though right now I'm experimenting with using PhilC's skull cap included with Hair Designer).